The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
At a 20K OCI with a good quality synthetic, I wouldn't be worried about engine wear... I'd be worried about the depletion of the anti aeration additive package and the reduced performance of the oil... not as a lubricant, but as a hydraulic fluid providing the motive power for the injectors... where entrained air from the constantly churning oil would likely reduce the effectiveness of the oil's hydraulic function. Not a concern in a common rail fuel system, but something that International often said is a concern with a HEUI system.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
And unfortunately quite a few CK4 oil’s are under 1k of zddp to help cat/DPF life.

Some are still ok.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I was running Rotella T6 5W-40, but that was before CK-4 oils came out. I still had a pretty good stash of CJ-4 oils to work with, but I've only got enough for one more oil change.

I'll steer clear of CK-4 oils. Next time I buy oil, it'll be Schaeffer Supreme 9000™ Full Synthetic Oil 5W-40, it's still CJ-4, for now. If I'm on the road and need oil, I'll stick with the WSS-M2C171-F1 oils with the Motorcraft logo on the bottle.

For filters, here's what I've found...
The absolute most efficient primary lube oil filter you can get for a 7.3 is the Donaldson DBL7405. (intended for a Caterpillar 3406) It's rated at 7 microns nominal, and 15 microns absolute. But this filter gets dented by my front suspension when it flexes, so I don't run it anymore.

The second most efficient filter I can find is the Donaldson P550371, it's rated at 17 microns absolute.

The third best I can find is the OEM Motorcraft FL-1995, according to Ford's website it's 18 microns absolute.

There's a lot of hype about the Wix 51734XE & Napa 1734XE oil filters, but the published beta ratios are 4 @ 10 microns (absolutely incredible) and 75 @ 30 microns (less than mediocre). I'm inclined to think they've mistyped something because that's a wide range of good-to-bad performance in a single filter.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
At a 20K OCI with a good quality synthetic, I wouldn't be worried about engine wear... I'd be worried about the depletion of the anti aeration additive package and the reduced performance of the oil... not as a lubricant, but as a hydraulic fluid providing the motive power for the injectors... where entrained air from the constantly churning oil would likely reduce the effectiveness of the oil's hydraulic function. Not a concern in a common rail fuel system, but something that International often said is a concern with a HEUI system.
Excellent consideration.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
And unfortunately quite a few CK4 oil’s are under 1k of zddp to help cat/DPF life.

Some are still ok.
OK, I know you guys have heard it from me a dozen times already but thats why I bought 40-gallons of the Delvac 5w-40. I had to hit every Murdochs Ranch Supply along the Front Range and Laramie to get every bucket left of the CJ-4 inventories.

I know...probably much ado about nothing 😉

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
I was running Rotella T6 5W-40, but that was before CK-4 oils came out. I still had a pretty good stash of CJ-4 oils to work with, but I've only got enough for one more oil change.

I'll steer clear of CK-4 oils. Next time I buy oil, it'll be Schaeffer Supreme 9000™️ Full Synthetic Oil 5W-40, it's still CJ-4, for now. If I'm on the road and need oil, I'll stick with the WSS-M2C171-F1 oils with the Motorcraft logo on the bottle.

For filters, here's what I've found...
The absolute most efficient primary lube oil filter you can get for a 7.3 is the Donaldson DBL7405. (intended for a Caterpillar 3406) It's rated at 7 microns nominal, and 15 microns absolute. But this filter gets dented by my front suspension when it flexes, so I don't run it anymore.

The second most efficient filter I can find is the Donaldson P550371, it's rated at 17 microns absolute.

The third best I can find is the OEM Motorcraft FL-1995, according to Ford's website it's 18 microns absolute.

There's a lot of hype about the Wix 51734XE & Napa 1734XE oil filters, but the published beta ratios are 4 @ 10 microns (absolutely incredible) and 75 @ 30 microns (less than mediocre). I'm inclined to think they've mistyped something because that's a wide range of good-to-bad performance in a single filter.
There was a time I used to know what all that meant.

😉

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Rotella 5w-40 is around 1100 ppm of each zinc and phos

Delo 5w-40 is around 680 zinc and 750 phos Yikes

Yet delo claims 70% better wear protection.

The ck4 is supposed to have better anti aeration additives

21 - 27 of 27 Posts