The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never posted here before, but I thought I should pass on an issue I'm having. I searched and didn't see many others with the same problem.

Truck is a 2011 6.7 with 26,000 miles.

Over the weekend I noticed oil dripping in numerous places under the engine but couldn't tell where it was coming from, not pouring but enough to worry. Took it in today and was told they couldn't even look at it till tomorrow. Turns out they were able to look it over and I have oil in my coolant system, pretty bad too and I'm embarrassed I missed it. Dealer said they wouldn't be able to even touch the truck for 4 to 5 weeks! because they were backed up. Called around and got much of the same, but finally found a dealer who can maybe get to it by the end of the week.

When I got it there the diesel tech looked at it with me and said at the very least the oil cooler is bad and this was the first he's seen it on the 6.7. There may be a second leak as well but he needs to dig into it. Will report back when I know a bit more.

Other then the oil leaking, (and later seeing the oil in the coolant tank) never saw any other symptoms. Coolant temp fine, oil temp fine and no lights.

Major issue for me is this is my daily driver, so I'm in a rental. The truck is certified pre-owned (got it at 18,000) so I think they should be covering the rental, but they said maybe... I'm going to push for it.

Dave

·
Registered
206 Posts
Rental car is up to the dealer to provide, not part of the warranty unless you are working with a aftermarket or dealer supplied warranty that includes it.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
It happened to me and it was indeed the oil cooler. It's an '11 and was relatively new so hopefully you won't have these problems; overfilled oil, I drained 2 quarts. Not enough coolant added back which I ended up spending my own dime on. I don't use that Dealer anymore, couldn't get the coolant test done correctly either. Make sure they use distilled water. Mark your mileage, you'll have to do a flush sooner than the factory fill 105K. Mine pencils out so I can do both around 100 and keep them on the same cycle. Check your state's Lemon Law for days out of use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and the link. I'll keep track of the work they are doing and make sure they use distilled water. I figured I'd need to flush the system early once they are done. Hadn't thought of the lemon law, but I am within the time/milege limits for it to apply in my state and the limit is 30 days out of use. Thanks for that, good to have in my pocket if I keep having issues with this.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Thanks for the replies and the link. I'll keep track of the work they are doing and make sure they use distilled water. I figured I'd need to flush the system early once they are done...
I want to get your regional customer service manager involved, rahdtk. All I'll need to make that happen is a PM from you with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and the servicing dealer info. I'll do the rest. :)

Crystal

·
Registered
2,864 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
That is exactly right and says it in my warranty paperwork from Ford.
Small victory. Five days rental and they can't get to it for 4-5 weeks!? Our guys used to stay backed up 1-2 weeks but 4-5?! Wow!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really big thanks to Crystal and the Regional Service Manager. Talked to him this afternoon and he stated the rental will be covered till the truck is finished. Really big help!

Dealer has not yet started on the truck, but I will post the details for anyone else that may encounter the same issue.

Yeah, thought 4 to 5 weeks was crazy. Plus they sent me to the commercial service counter, a small office in the back. I had an appointment but that office had no idea about it, and didn't really care. I'm not a commercial customer and don't wish to be treated as one. Even though the dealer I ended up with has not started the truck, I was much happier with them. Better set up to handle diesel owners and had the tech come out to talk over the problems with me... glad I moved the truck, however with that said, we will see.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Really big thanks to Crystal and the Regional Service Manager. Talked to him this afternoon and he stated the rental will be covered till the truck is finished. Really big help!...
You're very welcome, rahdtk! Shoot another PM my way if there's anything else I can do to help. :thumbsup:

Crystal

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
they sent me to the commercial service counter, a small office in the back. I had an appointment but that office had no idea about it, and didn't really care. I'm not a commercial customer and don't wish to be treated as one.
Dealership I bought my PSD from has a class 6,7,&8 service area separate from car & gas pickup area too. A CAT, CUMMINS, & DDA/ALLISON certified shop. THOSE are the guys I want working on MY PSD. As soon as you called and told the receprtionist you had a diesel, you got transfered to the BIG truck shop. There you talked to the Shop Forman, or the service tech directly. None of this Service Writer stuff like happens on the other end of the building, where the service writer gets a percentage of the work, so the more he can convince you to get worked on the higher his wages for sitting on a stool and talking on the phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2013 F550 with the 6.7L. I just noticed that the overflow tank for the engine coolant appeared to be filled with dark solution and that it also was above the "cold" line. I popped the top off and the underside of the cap was like a creamy grey goop. The liquid inside the tank was the same, just more liquefied. The coolant in the actual radiator looks fine. Going to take it to the dealership as it only has 34k on it. Had a similar problem with our 2006 with the 6.0L and sunk thousands into that POS. We bought this new truck with this better motor so we wouldn't have to deal with this...I sure hope it is covered under the warranty!

I saw that you could get reimbursed from Ford for a previously owned Ford. What about a Ford that was bought with 14 miles on it? I will need a rental too.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I have a 2013 F550 with the 6.7L. I just noticed that the overflow tank for the engine coolant appeared to be filled with dark solution and that it also was above the "cold" line. I popped the top off and the underside of the cap was like a creamy grey goop. The liquid inside the tank was the same, just more liquefied. The coolant in the actual radiator looks fine. Going to take it to the dealership as it only has 34k on it...
When are you heading in to the dealer, Classonedistributing? I'll be able to research ways to help once they've had the chance to look things over. :thumbsup:

Crystal

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2015 F250 6.7. Found oil in my primary anti freeze last week. I took it to my local Ford dealer and was told it is not the oil cooler and that they called the Ford factory and the Factory told them it was under warranty and to start taking the engine apart until they find the problem. It has 83,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Well at least they seem to be getting it fixed for you!!

Reactions: Goneflying1
1 - 17 of 17 Posts