The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first diesel and I’ve loved it. HOWEVER. It’s a 2016 6.7 88,868 miles on it. Check engine light came on for engine temp not up. Stopped by dealer and I have oil in the coolant overflow. They say they have to flush the system and put in new stat. However, WHERE did the oil come from?? $1600 just for the flush out. Really? 100,000 drive trane warranty I thought. Hopefully the extended warranty covers it, but I have to wait 4 days for someone to come see for themselves. Anyone else had issues with this being covered?

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
$1600 for a flush and tstat?? I'd double check what work they are doing. Oil could be from the turbo.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
Or the oil cooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m thinking oil cooler. I asked the service writer “where’s the oil coming from, you do know in combustion engines, oil and water don’t mix”. His answer. Don’t know. I guess I’ll stop in Monday and have a word with a manager.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Oil in coolant... 6.7L.... not a common thing. I have heard of a couple bad oil coolers however.

·
Registered
204 Posts
OP keep your repair order. This doesn't sound like they fixed the problem. I would keep a eye on the system and at the first sign of oil I would get this back in the shop and have them fix the problem correctly. I would also check to see if there is water in the crank case. it will look like a milkshake. If that was the case STOP driving the truck immediately and have it towed to the dealer. I am not sure if it's a oil cooler is covered under the power train warranty but the motor is covered for 100,000 and 5 years.
Sounds like a lot of money to flush and replace a thermostat. I would question that much money.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
The engine oil cooler is covered by the 6.7L diesel engine warranty for 5 years or 100,000 miles... which ever comes first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well. Still no truck back yet. But they found the oil cooler failed and was the cause. Covered under factory warranty. I asked for everything to be documented in case it did get coolant in the engine it would be covered later. Mechanic had drained the oil already and said there was no coolant in it. We’ll see. Hopefully have my truck back early next week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts