The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get told to use the search feature, I know. I've read dozens of posts but can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. My oil cooler orings failed a few months back. I did not have any oil in the coolant at the time, but had oil leaking straight from the cooler. As soon as I saw it i shut the truck down and it didn't move or start until it was fixed.

The cooler was replaced with a brand new one, brand new gaskets and orings. End castings were cleaned and reused. Now this is my initial mistake, i did not flush the cooling system initially. I honestly didnt think about it because there was no oil in the coolant at first. Fast forward about 1000 miles and I have a layer of oil at the top. I have flushed the entire system atleast 6 times now. I used about 3 gallons of simple green, got all that out, then used the prestone flush. Whole bunch of rust colored coolant came out, might have been my fault for letting it sit with just water for a few days. I kept flushing until the water coming out is almost clear. However, there is a small film of oil on top.

I've read previous posts where people say it can take upwards of 10-12 flushes to get out.I used lube when reassembling the cooler and it was a giant pain. I can only see the oil when i use a separate clear bottle to catch the water coming out and let it sit until the oil coagulates at the top. I have no coolant in the oil, heater is working, and the oil level does not appear to be dropping.

Should I continue to flush or do I need to pull the cooler back off, disassemble and reassemble to confirm I did not roll an oring?

I also replaced the coolant tank from the one that was contaminated with oil so its brand new and clean.

Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
25,424 Posts
I've floated a small bit of absorbent sheets you can get at the parts stores to get the last bit of oil out of the coolant tank. I've used that method to get ATF out of the system. Oil seems to come out of the coolant passages pretty slowly as the engine heats up. Just freshen up the absorbent sheet every week or so and see what happens.

If all you're getting is a sheen, then you're probably OK on the oil cooler assemble. If it keeps building up, then you may need to redo the o-rings.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts