The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some oil in my intake. I'm assuming it's from my cdr valve going bad. I ordered a new cdr valve and connecting rubber pieces. Now before I put the new stuff in and run the beast is there a way I should try and clean the oil out of my intake manifold. Also I've read about cleaning the cdr valve every second oil change, but the old fourm I read never specify what to clean it with. They just state thinge like don't use gas or diesel because there's a rubber diaphragm and that will destroy it. So if anyone knows it would be a great help so I don't have to spend an extra 100$ every other oil change.

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Also I've read about cleaning the cdr valve every second oil change, but the old fourm I read never specify what to clean it with.
Every keyboard mechanic on a forum who's never set foot in a diesel shop will pass along any and all CDR "advice". The CDR will not cause oil consumption and doesn't need cleaning. It's an always open device during normal engine operation with a 1" orifice that allows engine crankcase fumes (blowby) to continually escape into the intake stream. Nowhere in any Ford or Navistar engine manual is there any mention of ever cleaning it or it causing excessive oil consumption. Furthermore, after working on most all breeds of diesel engines, I never was into one that did not have an oily intake due the fact that there's no throttle plates like a gas engine causing intake manifold vacuum. So with no vacuum and valve overlap the intake system is exposed to a certain amount of combustion fumes and blowby. And these are all engines with no CDR valves.
A case in point from another forum:
Ive cleaned my CDR a few times, but something that still baffles me.. most people speak as if they get plugged up with gunk, sludge or what have you. Yet everytime i pull mine off it crystal clean inside, albeit covered in shiny black oil. But always clean, clear and seemingly in working order, FWIW it had never been off until i pulled it, i cracked the paint around the bolts the first time after 286k+
And when in doubt and don't know how it functions, just replace it after "heavy review":
I have a cdr, and after heavy review, I have decided that the best move is to replace it. I have looked into the intake while the engine is running and there is a lot of "white/blue" smoke pouring out of the CDR. I wondered what that thing is and it's function, looks like it's time to get a new one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts