The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! :beerchug:

I will start with some history on the truck.

2001 F250 with 630,000 Miles. (No I'm not kidding) She starts without a hiccup even when its cold (30 degrees or so) and gets around 20MPG if I baby her. She does burn/lose oil but not much more than a quart over 7,000 miles or so. (That's my guess I've never measured)

The truck was stock when I received it and had never been modified. I put a DP-Tuner F5 chip in her with the infinity touch screen.

Just last night I installed a 4" MBRP exhaust with muffler from DP (I did have some difficulty with installation :icon_mad:). This morning when getting out of the truck at work I stopped to admire my new exhaust when I noticed something that looked like oil in the pipe and on my shiny new tip. :disappointed: :notsigned: I have heard that diesel can look similar in certain circumstances but I can't quite tell.

I'll state that I haven't noticed ANY form of smoke coming out of my exhaust unless I put my foot down and when I do that it'll be grey/black depending on the tune I am running. I have never smelled burning oil while driving her.

I don't know if its something new or if its something from before. Before I installed the 4" I had the stock exhaust chopped just after the muffler and removed the cat so it was dumping out below the bed/cab. I don't know if I just wasn't seeing it due to it being under the bed or if I somehow could've caused it when trying to get the down pipe fitted snugly to the turbo.

The only thing I did this morning that I've never done was run the truck on the 1,200 RPM EBV closed tune to help her warm up faster. I hadn't done it before as I didn't wanna wake up the whole town when leaving for work. :lol:

I've looked around already and done some research (I.E. Cracked piston, bad rings, bad turbo seal, injector leaking) but haven't found anything that quite fits my dilema as they all state some smoke involved and like I said I haven't seen any.

Thank you for your help fellas (and or ladies!)

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Could be a bad turbo seal. Pull the down pipe and check

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be a bad turbo seal. Pull the down pipe and check
Thanks I'll check the intake side as well to make sure the shaft isn't walking all over.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update, I just took her for a drive to the post office and revved it while I was waiting in the lot. I rolled coal a little but also thought I saw some bluish smoke come along with it. Haven't had a chance to get inside the hood yet.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It could be caused from wet stacking. It looks like oil but it is unburned diesel and soot. It can be mistaken for oil.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be caused from wet stacking. It looks like oil but it is unburned diesel and soot. It can be mistaken for oil.
I've heard that and am hoping that's the case. How often can this happen? Is it something I should be worried about?

I'm pretty damn new to these engines and just want to learn as much as I can :thumbsup:

Thank you for the reply!

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Did you hook back up the map sensor hose to the compressor manifold? Thick black smoke is too much fuel for the amount of air you have.
Map sensor not hooked up might be your problem as could an intercooler boot or plenum coupler.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you hook back up the map sensor hose to the compressor manifold? Thick black smoke is too much fuel for the amount of air you have.
Map sensor not hooked up might be your problem as could an intercooler boot or plenum coupler.
I have yet to test anything under the hood. :weird: Just wanted to get some opinions before I dove in. As far as I know the map sensor is still hooked up. :scratchhead: When I blow smoke out the pipe its because I'm running on a higher HP tune and am really putting my foot down on the accelerator. :headbang2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got a few pictures here that I figured you guys might want to see. :shrug03:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alrighty guys I've got an update. From what I've found online it sounds like the oil is left over from when the exhaust is bent into place. Not sure of the purpose in the process but I'm not the only one to have had this happen with MBRP exhaust.

So hopefully I've got nothing to worry about

There is still a possibility that it is a turbo seal. I learned that closing the EBV for a warmup can cause it to dibble a little. It is a tell tale warning that the seals are going to die soon.

Still planning on tearing into it this weekend just to be safe!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts