The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 1999.5 175,000 miles I have an oil leak. Its really slow maybe a drip or 2 a night. It cant figure out exactly where its coming from. Its dripping off of the transmission flywheel cover in that area. Anyone else had this in the same area? Any ideas?

Thanks for your time, Matt

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts
There are so many places a PSD can leak without more information it would be pretty hard to pin point. However, for a unit with that many miles one it and a drip or two a night I would not worry about it until I had a more significant leak or specific evidence of a larger problem, like a visible HPOP line leaking, valve cover bolts falling out. Most of us have some kind of drip, mine has disappeared since I stopped overfilling the crankcase and let my truck run between the dip stick hash marks. You could clean it all up real good, get some florescent dye and run it then check it with a black light, might get some idea where it originates. For two drips a night, not me I would let it run. Congrats on the 300K mile club on your 96 gettin your monies worth out of it for sure.

· Registered
725 Posts
On my 1999.5 175,000 miles I have an oil leak. Its really slow maybe a drip or 2 a night. It cant figure out exactly where its coming from. Its dripping off of the transmission flywheel cover in that area. Anyone else had this in the same area? Any ideas?

Thanks for your time, Matt
Typically,when it looks like it is coming off of the flywheel cover it really isn't look in your valley around the turbo,HPOP,HP oil lines etc... when there is liquid in the valley it drains out the back of the valley on the passenger side and down on the flywheel cover it could also,be fuel sometimes you can mistake those drops for oil because you have dirt and grease up ontop of the engine and it turns the fuel a black color.Good Luck! Mike

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys guys. I did have fuel in my valley but I took care of that the lines were loose and I tightened them up and it seemed to go away I think. As far as I have noticed anyways. I will look into it closer tho and see what all I can see. If it was fuel that had gotten dirty I'm guessing it would prolly be that mechanical fuel pump? Had that problem on my 1996 as well.

Thanks, And yes getting all the work I can out of the 96' greast truck.

Thanks guys, Matt

· Registered
725 Posts
Your welcome,make sure you clean the valley real good I cut up micro-fiber towels and duct tape it to a long screwdriver and that let's me reach all the places where oil and fuel set once I get it all soaked up I then spray it down with brake cleaner and soak up the excess and call it good.Once,you clean the valley real good and wipe down the flywheel cover drive it and see if you still see drops under your truck if so,then investigate a little further if no drops your good to go.Mike

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cleaned up the valley again. Cleaned up some around the turbo I did look closer at what it was It felt like oil but I see what your saying with the fuel gettin dirty. It sits on the driveway like fuel. I am gonna do some closer looking and see what I can find.

Thanks, Matt

· Registered
156 Posts
Matt
I had a very similliar leak. I was fuel. I was told the most likely place to leak is the yellow plastic valve(fule drain valve I thnk) the back of the fuel filter bowl. It has O rings with a coating that wears out from vibration and then it leaks fuel into the valley on top and down the passenger side to the flywheel cover.

I will need some help on here with what it was called. When I took it apart, the o rings did have a coating worn off that was the problem. Easy fix.

Hope this helps.

· Premium Member
2,270 Posts
If it is fuel, then you can tell the difference with your nose. A little diesel, just a few drops make a big smell. A few drops of oil, nada. Fuel, coud be the vibra lock bushing at the fuel regulator or many other places similarly attached, but you would not be doubting that it was fuel the smell would confirm it. Probably an oil leak.

· Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm gonna look cloaser thank you for the info guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.