The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! new to this, have a 1992 7.2 leaking oil on right front. all i can tell is that is hitting the top of the fuel pump and dripping down. only does it when running. changed valve cover gaskets, which were leaking, but can't see where this leak is coming from. not much experience with diesel, so any and all help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Is there any evidence of leaking above the fuel pump? If not it could be the fuel pump itself. See if that "oil" is actually fuel mixed with oil. It could be the fuel pump diaphragm leaking. There is a weep hole on the side of the lever housing that will leak if the diaphragm is leaking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, there is oil above the pump. but that's as far as i can see. also thought about fuel. definitely oil. been an auto mechanic for 30 years, but not on diesels.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
try re-torquing the heads. I've heard that they sometimes seep oil out from under them. Also check your valve covers, if they're dimpled a little, they won't sit right on the gasket. On real stubborn ones, (other engines) I have had to use two gaskets to get them to finally seal. The only other thing I can suggest would be to clean it off real well, and watch for the new traces. If some of the water pump bolts aren't sealed off, they will seep too, but it might be a stretch for it to reach where you are describing your leak. The passenger side valve cover is a real PITA to get off and back on, are you sure the gasket didn't slip, or tear in the process?

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
yes, there is oil above the pump. but that's as far as i can see. also thought about fuel. definitely oil. been an auto mechanic for 30 years, but not on diesels.
Auto or diesel mechanic, what's the difference? Steam clean or pressure wash the area clean, test drive, then determine where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Clean the suspected area and than place a paper towel around or under it. If the paper gets wet with oil, that's your huckleberry..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my issue is not that i don't know the difference or anything like that, it's that I can't SEE where it's coming from. it is behind brackets, alternator, and fuel filter, so I was hoping someone could tell me what, related to oil, was back there.

·
Registered
319 Posts
my issue is not that i don't know the difference or anything like that, it's that I can't SEE where it's coming from. it is behind brackets, alternator, and fuel filter, so I was hoping someone could tell me what, related to oil, was back there.
Can you provide a picture?If you replaced the valve cover gasket than the only place that I can think of would be the water pump but that's a long shot. There are two bolts that secure the water pump that are shorter than the others and if they are positioned wrong inside the pump, they could penetrate the block. Check the weep hole at the bottom of the pump and check for oil leakage. Good Luck!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Can you provide a picture?If you replaced the valve cover gasket than the only place that I can think of would be the water pump but that's a long shot. There are two bolts that secure the water pump that are shorter than the others and if they are positioned wrong inside the pump, they could penetrate the block. Check the weep hole at the bottom of the pump and check for oil leakage. Good Luck!

Opps!. This thought has already been mentioned. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
From where you're describing, the only place it can be from is the valve cover, or the head. The water pump bolts would be more to the center of the engine.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
Water pump bolts if leaking at all would be hardly enough to notice. And if the long bolts are in the wrong place, they don't hit the block, they contact the IP drive gear. Cylinder head to block oil leak is most always at the back of the heads and there again it's generally only a slight ooze. Like oldrebuiltdodge posted, most likely valve covers or the fan may be blowing it up from the fuel transfer pump on the side of the block.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts