The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still haven't seen the "change oil" indicator on my 2017 F450. I have 4,000 miles on it. I plan on changing at 5,000 mile intervals anyway.

I know there is an "oil life reset" function. Is there an indication of "current oil life" that can be seen, say, before embarking on a long road trip?

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Not that I can see in the information display. It's in the truck's "brain", though, just like the DPF full level. I can see it with FORscan, mine is 70% oil life left with 2100 miles on it, of which 550 were towing at highway speeds.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm not completely sure, but I think you get the "change oil" alert at 7,500 miles. I'm not sure about this either, but I think you can change this alert to something else as well. 'Comments?

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I'm not completely sure, but I think you get the "change oil" alert at 7,500 miles. I'm not sure about this either, but I think you can change this alert to something else as well. 'Comments?
You get the "change oil" alert anywhere between (roughly) 5K and 10K miles depending in severity of service and driving. Towing a lot, you'll get it quicker. Smooth 60 mph highway driving empty, I've seen it go longer. They're calculating that somehow, not sure if it's actually based on looking at the oil or just hours/miles/power requested/boost or something.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My method is i use TRIP ONE as my oil change monitor. Set at zero at oil change. Then at 7500 i change.
Full synthetic.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed the oil in the F450 at 6500 and 13,000 miles. I reset the oil life indicator to zero. But I've never seen the oil change alert. I'm going to change again soon at 19,000 miles, but won't reset the oil life indicator so I can at least see it once and see when it thinks I should change the oil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It would have been nice to see a display option to know where you stand. I am just over 5K with 3K under load. Plan on taking a trip to Florida (not towing) for the holidays and don't want to get half way there and be told my oil life is spent or close to it before I get home. I'm guessing by some of these posts, the oil life should be fine??

·
Registered
138 Posts
Guys....... very simple to do. Use trip A OR B. For your oil life at a glance. When i change oil i reset trip A. it is my dedicated oil life indicator.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got ~8K miles (mostly highway, only limited light towing) and FORScan tells me I'll get hit with an oil change message in about ~2K miles (not sure EXACTLY what the last number was).

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've got ~8K miles (mostly highway, only limited light towing) and FORScan tells me I'll get hit with an oil change message in about ~2K miles (not sure EXACTLY what the last number was).
It was pretty much on the money. At 9,4xxx miles, I got the "Change Oil Soon" messages. FORScan told me I had about ~550 miles to go before "Change SOON" becomes "Change NOW".

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Interesting that a lot of the 2017 models are getting around 10,000 miles per oil change.
My 2011 and 2015 both would prompt around 7500 miles. Must be some programing changes in the computer

When the 6.7L first came out. A Ford engineer was online telling how they ran a LOT engines way past 10,000 miles with out the oil wearing out. 7500 miles was more of compromise to be safe than the avg of worn out oil.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Wow, just crazy to me that oil is being ran 10,000 miles.

I personally won't do it.

·
Premium Member
3,805 Posts
Interesting that a lot of the 2017 models are getting around 10,000 miles per oil change.
My 2011 and 2015 both would prompt around 7500 miles. Must be some programing changes in the computer

When the 6.7L first came out. A Ford engineer was online telling how they ran a LOT engines way past 10,000 miles with out the oil wearing out. 7500 miles was more of compromise to be safe than the avg of worn out oil.
I would think oil life is more a function of the specific oil than the type of engine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow, just crazy to me that oil is being ran 10,000 miles.

I personally won't do it.
Personally, I follow the advice of the folks who design, build and warranty these engines.

I did send an oil sample from my first oil change to Blackstone Labs for analysis. Will advise when I get it back.

Another guy on another forum sent his in at about 8,000 miles -- they told him everything looked great and he COULD (if he chose) extend his next oil change another couple thousand miles (to ~10,000).

I would think oil life is more a function of the specific oil than the type of engine.
I'd tend to believe that it's probably a combination of both.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you really want to know about oil and extended oil changes you should head over to bobistheoilguy and read up.There you will find everything you want to know about oil and it’s capabilities,and tons of oil samples from 6.7 Powerstrokes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you really want to know about oil and extended oil changes you should head over to bobistheoilguy and read up.There you will find everything you want to know about oil and it’s capabilities,and tons of oil samples from 6.7 Powerstrokes.
Thanks. I've read and referenced his site for many years, so I'm sure there's some good info on the PSD there.

I'm also waiting on the first analysis of actual oil from my actual vehicle from Blackstone Labs.

·
Super Moderator
24,877 Posts
Argumentative posts removed.
Please keep the discission civil.

Thanks
klhansen
Moderator.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Personally, I follow the advice of the folks who design, build and warranty these engines.

I did send an oil sample from my first oil change to Blackstone Labs for analysis. Will advise when I get it back.

Another guy on another forum sent his in at about 8,000 miles -- they told him everything looked great and he COULD (if he chose) extend his next oil change another couple thousand miles (to ~10,000).

I'd tend to believe that it's probably a combination of both.
I followed their advice on my 6.0L when I had it.
Changed the oil per the manual.
Did Blackstone analysis every oil change for 70,000 miles.
Every analysis showed my 15W40 oil had the viscosity of straight 30W after the oil change interval recommended by Ford.
No thanks, I will change more often to ensure longevity.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts