The Diesel Stop banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Patrick you hit the nail on the head! I have known all along that the breather was the cause of the oil in the intake. My main concern was the oil on the top if the outside of the turbo. That cause being found as the bad y-pipe seal. (Still amazes me that the oil can move so fast to different areas of the motor at low speed) While I do not have a IC to fill up the oil just gets pushed through the compressor and in my case blown all over the top of the engine and turbo. Now it will just be burnt off, but I would still like to know just how much oil comes out in a certain amount of time. I was investigating a catch can of some sort, as I really do not want to rust proof the rear 3/4 of my truck and the front of the following trailer with used Rotella by road drafting it!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
If the blow-by was so bad that it lifted oil from the head through the breather in the valve cover, the engine would run very badly, and it would blow the (loose) oil fill cap off the neck. If it's still running well, it's probably not blow-by. It's probably just something wrong with the oil separator, or the drainback journals being plugged. I'd do an engine flush, and wash/dry the element in the breather.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I was going to pull the element and clean it probably this weekend. I really do not want to flush the engine if not needed. At 301k I do not want to move the things I know it has crammed in corners back into the mainstream oil where they do not need to be. Only going through 2qts in 5k I really am not that worried.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts