Registered
352 Posts
Removed weird stuff.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I don't know what the heck happened, But here's what I wanted to post:

Yep, mine leaks, again! This time the engine is coming out and a permanent repair will take place. I'll remove the JBWeld and weld the crack that was caused by the flywheel inspection cover 15 years ago while I'm at it. Here's my question, in all my research, I've not found anyone that's soldered or used an adhesive to mount the dipstick casting in the oil pan or made their own steel replacement and welded that rascal. I'm leaning toward making a steel replacement and welding it in.

Comments &/or suggestions please. I'll be doing this in October, so I have some time to prepare! Thanks ahead for all your input and be nice.

·
Premium Member
9,598 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Dang, that was expensive. Couldn't you just take a new pan and flange to a welding shop and have them weld the flange to the pan? Guess you could tighten the heck out of it and stake the nut too.
AaronSEIA

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
E6000 could work, if it's applied to clean surfaces.

Brazing a steel flange in might give a better result than welding.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had seen the "FIX". It is pricey, but it does appear to work. I figure if I need to make the permanent repair, I might as well fix the crack I 'JB' welded several years ago. This will also give an excellent opportunity to clean the engine & its compartment. If not for the other repairs needed, I might try that pricey "FIX".

Over tightening is why the original casting no longer seals. The o-ring channel/flange on the casting on the inside of the pan becomes out of shape, allowing the o-ring to come out of position because it swells with oil contact. The swelling helps it seal, but it has to be held in place to work properly.

Likely I'll weld/braze my own creation to the pan while repairing the crack, too.

If I think about it, I'll take a pic or two and post them when finished.

Thanks for the input!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts