The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am very new to Diesel vehicles. I have a 06 350 6.0. I was told by a mechanic that I cannot let any oil leak go. Well, I recently had an oil change and it drips a little from the oil pan plug. I've tried to tighten it, but still leaks. I know I could get a new plug or washer and fix it, and if I have to I will. I don't think the leak is so bad it can't wait till the next oil change, but could this have a horrible effect? Like low oil pressure?

·
Premium Member
14,525 Posts
If it is bad enough to lose 10 quarts between now and next oil change - that might lead to low oil pressure. If it is the normal drip I see from drain plugs, you'll be lucky to lose a tablespoon in that time. I wouldn't worry about it except to have a new washer ready for the next oil change. You could even swap to the Fumoto valve at that point.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
If you have to, I have swapped plugs w/ a full pan and didn't lose even a quart ....... Just have the oil cold and have a large piece of cardboard under it. No big deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I would say I may loose about 1/2 a tablespoon a day, at a guess. I have thought about changing the washer.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
If it is coming from the drain plug I would just install a Fumoto Valve and be done with it.

If you worry about it getting knocked off don't, you would have other problems if something should hit it. Also you can get a spring hose clamp to lock it closed. Also if you worry about someone sneaking under your truck and draining all the oil don't. If they plan on doing that they can do other damage that would go unseen and cause more problems.

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Well said bugman!

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
I would hope you check you oil between changes. Add as required, a small few drop a day leak is not the end of the world. A pan under the truck will tell you how much you loose. I have changed washers and had no oil loss by hooking up vacuum cleaner to oil fill tube, depends on vehicle but worked for me.
DENNY

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome. Thank you all for the reply's. I am going to try to change the washer without loosing the fluid.

·
Premium Member
8,666 Posts
If you just had the oil changed at a shop I'd take it back and shot the leak to them and let them fix it along with paying to top it off if any oil is lost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts