The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I have a 2019 F-350 KR 6.7. Its my baby, it only goes out on sunny days. Anyway, I have owned it for a year, DIC says to change the oil BUT I don't even have 1k miles on it yet. I thought I read somewhere that Ford put "break in oil" in the Superdutys and not to change until you reach 5k miles for first change.
FYI- I don't idle or tow or anything severe basically boils down to being my Sunday driver..

Thanks in advance for the input...

·
Premium Member
9,051 Posts
You have a engine warranty to protect, if the DIC says to change the oil then change the oil.

Also my best recommendation for you is to drive your truck, these new engines were not designed to just sit in a garage

·
Registered
140 Posts
Change it, drive it. Now you're going to get nervous when you don't see the DIC to tell you to change the oil when your at 5k.....7k.....8k......9k.......

in some cases. It's 10k spend the money and run 100% synthetic and enjoy your extended oil changes. As expensive as it is now? You'll be glad you did. My Truck sees 30k miles a year and on average it tells me to change at around 9,500 miles. But always keep track of your mileage for reference. Use trip meter one specifically for mileage. Use trip 2 for whatever.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
282 Posts
They don't put brake in oil in these trucks. I didn't change my oil till the truck said i needed to do that. I got mine new not used. You are lucky that you can put yours in a garage. I don't get to do that LOL.
I do believe that the oil minder in the truck will have you change the oil every 5 to 7,000 miles or once a year which ever comes first. Sorry to see you don't drive your truck much. When I got mine I had to put the 5th wheel hitch in mine so with around 500 miles I have to cut a 4" hole in the bed. How brave of me. Thank God I can read a tape measure. There are no do overs once you have the hole cut. Get your truck out there and drive it man.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
Drive the truck more often. Letting them sit isn't going to do anything to add value. Change the oil to whatever you want to use. Synthetic oil usage isn't a automatic for "extended oil change intervals".

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Read the manual closer, Change oil at 5,000 OR 1 Year. The oil minder counts miles and time, so will notify either way. Sitting is very bad, especially in the upper midwest where there is snow, freezing temps, and high humidity with varying dew points. All these lead to rust forming, and water condensation. Killed my 99 Dually by letting it sit, even though it was garage kept, it still got damaged from rust.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't drive mine much either and am in the same boat. Trucks wants me to change the oil, but it has less than 2k miles on this oil. I do need to drive it around a bit more. Usually when I do it's towing 7k. Mine was 3yrs old in Dec. and I've got just a tad over 12k.

I need to change it soon tho. Just hate waiting on the dealer all day to get it done.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't drive mine much either and am in the same boat. Trucks wants me to change the oil, but it has less than 2k miles on this oil. I do need to drive it around a bit more. Usually when I do it's towing 7k. Mine was 3yrs old in Dec. and I've got just a tad over 12k.

I need to change it soon tho. Just hate waiting on the dealer all day to get it done.
Mine will be 3 years old on Feb 28th and has 87k on it now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
If I only logged 1,000 miles a year, then I would not bother using full synthetic unless I used it in a very cold climate.

·
Registered
333 Posts
What are you doing about your DEF? Isn't that stuff only good for 12 months?

·
Registered
121 Posts
no break in oil, I changed mine at 2500 and went to full syn (val premium blue extreme 5w40) and then changed again at 5k. Now i'm on 5k intervals. I can do a full oil changed for like $80-90, cheap insurance.

Get that baby on the road, these trucks love heavy loads.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
When I got mine I had to put the 5th wheel hitch in mine so with around 500 miles I have to cut a 4" hole in the bed. How brave of me. Thank God I can read a tape measure. There are no do overs once you have the hole cut. Get your truck out there and drive it man.
Was that because of the type of hitch? Do the regular rail type mounts require a heroic install?

·
Super Moderator
11,780 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that Ford put "break in oil" in the Superdutys and not to change until you reach 5k miles for first change.
You probably read it on the internet. And everything on the internet is true...

There is no such thing as break in oil. Ford uses the same oil you can buy in the stores, except they buy it by the railroad car load.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts