The Diesel Stop banner

on-board air

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  TR 
#1 ·
anyone know where the least expencive place to get me a compressor is?i was thinking bout going to the junk yard and pulling one off a big rig. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

See less See more
#4 ·
Unless it is sold there is a Viair with other goodies in the for sale section for around $200. It is the continous duty cycle 450 model.

Paul B

#5 ·
For the compressor, go scavange a junk yard - much cheaper. The yorks are best bang, higher cfm rating and commonly available in passenger vehicles. You can look for the old AMC/Jeep Grand Wagoneers with the 360, they have a york 210 in them. Also 80s Volvo sedans have them as well.

If you have any fabrication skills, you can simply make a bracket. Go to your local hardware store or tractor supply and get a air compressor pressure switch, Y this into the output of the compressor and wire it to a switch and to the compressor clutch. Then find yourself a tank and misc fittings.

Or, www.onboardair.com has everything if you simply wanted to purchase it.

#6 ·
Its not a PSD, but heres a pic of on board air on my offroad rig:

The correct way would to have a filter on the suction port, and have a one way check valve on the output line(prevents compressed air from leaking thru the compressor). But mine is for offroad only purposes so I omitted them.
http://www.flexedout.com/img/Pics/100_0920.jpg

And a pic of the tank, the tank is from onboardair.com, but a big rig air brake tank works great as well.
http://www.flexedout.com/img/Pics/100_0921.jpg

#7 ·
The York big displacement is availab e remanned from Advance Auto for $96, no clutch. I dont know why anyone would buy one from Kilby for $200, but maybe their paint is really worth it.

I am running the York in my Toyota with a homemade bracket, and it works incredibly well.

I would like to rig one up on the PTO on my PSD.....hmmmmmmm......

#8 ·
Found mine on ebay! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.