The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure this out for the life of me. My right blinker will not blink. I've taken the light out and installed it on the other side and the bulb and fixture itself are fine as it works when I do that. I tested the connector that plugs into the socket, with the hazards on the multimeter jumps to 12 volts repeatedly, as it should. So the connector is getting power. I thought maybe the connector wasn't making a full connection so I bought a new one, still nothing. I bypassed the connector and just put the wires into the light, still nothing. The taillight works though. It's a three prong connector.... Tail, blinker, ground.

I don't understand how the connector and blinker wire is getting power but will not activate the blinker. I just bought this vehicle and rebuilding most of it anyways so I don't mind chasing wires around. There's a lot of modifications on this vehicle and the wires look like spaghetti. But I can follow them and I used to think I was electronically inclined until now. The picture below is my ride. So the back tailights are pretty much like trailer lights so when they burn out it's the whole mechanism that needs replacing

While doing tests last night I found out neither reverse lights work. But I haven't really looked into it much and it's probably a fuse or burnt out light. Will figure that out this weekend, just figured I would let you guys know so you get the full picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I'd try buying a new bulb and putting it in to see if that fixes it. Maybe that bulb is getting pretty old and is not working as well as it should anymore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'll try that. they are pretty cheap. It's just both lights work when I plug them into the left side, and neither works when plugged in the right. Maybe both could be just old enough to not work on the right, but new enough to work on the left???? I dunno. I'll go ahead and get a new one and try it out. Couldnt do any harm

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I'd check the socket to see if maybe it is cracked or if there is some corrosion. Maybe it is not making a good connection to the lamp.

·
Premium Member
8,562 Posts
Also make sure that that light has a good ground.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Obviously your working on the rear lights as you mention stop, tail, turn - unless I missed it I didn’t see you mention if the front turn signal was working? Is it just isolated to the rear?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Obviously your working on the rear lights as you mention stop, tail, turn - unless I missed it I didn’t see you mention if the front turn signal was working? Is it just isolated to the rear?
Yeah, its just isolated in the rear

I've done everything I can and I can't figure it out. Have had multiple buddies come over and nothing. Getting a little frustrated because the vehicle is just sitting and I can't really drive it anywhere. And it's been a while because I am working a lot.

So, I'm just going to get a new harness and rewire everything. A gauge and parts of the dash are all messy too. So another question I have is, are all universal wiring harnesses good for diesel as well?? I can't seem to find anything specific, so I'm assuming one can work on either. But I have seen some people on the internet say they are vastly different.

I ordered this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/112448059422

But now I am looking around and think I should have gotten this one: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Painless-Wiring-21-Circuit-Wiring-Harness,2358.html

Neither of them say anything about gas or diesel. But at least the second says it has xtra wire for gauges and whatnot.
But I dont know. Car electronics are not really my main thing. But I'm down to tackle the project. Just don't want to start something like that and realize I didn't even get the right equipment anyways.

One other thing. There is a black box about the size of a can of sardines that has a bunch of wires plugged into it. Is that a voltage regulator?? Is that something I should replace??

Thanks. Sorry if these questions are amateur.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yeah, since my lasts posts. i have replaced the brake switch and the turn signal switch. still have the same problems

1 - 8 of 8 Posts