The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drivers heated seat stopped working a while ago. Any ideas where to start looking , relays, fuzes etc. The red light comes on but no heat. Drivers side works fine.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
When you hit the button can you hear the relay switch down by your feet?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a similar issue. I don't know about Little General, but when I hit the button I can hear the relay switch under the seat; no heat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the relay under the dash or under the seat? Its raining here so I will wait until tomorrow to look/listen. If I find the relay, I will swap it with the other seat and see if that solves the problem. The Ford tech told me there is a heat switch that when the contact spring gets hot it bends away from the contact ,then cools off and touches again to start heating again. I had an 03 F250 and those seats never worked worth a crap at all. My F150 would cook your buns. These are so so. Nothing like my H2 Hummers seats.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Fuse F18 in the SJB (passenger footwell) provides power for both heated seats. The drive for the relays is separate, so you can have the switch light come on and the relay click while still having no power to the seat heaters.

I'd check F18 to see if it is good. If it is truly a case of the driver seat not working and the passenger seat is working then you will have to dig further for a broken connection somewhere. If the switch light comes on and the relay doesn't click it might be a bad relay, or a broken connection.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The light comes on and I hear a click under the dash on the drivers side. I wonder if it could be the temp control or if the relay is clicking but the contacts are damaged. The passenger side works fine.I guess one fuse operates both seats, so I can rule that out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The relay is under the seat. Mine clicks too. I'll check fuse F18 in the morning.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I switched relays between the two seats and the drivers side still won't work. I guess its the seat heaters. Wonder why both the bottom and the back went out together? My starter bendix sounds funny, seats won't heat and I need a set of tires, time to trade.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have heard that the driver's seat wiring goes bad where the top and bottom pad connect from repeated reclining. Anyone know of any validity to this?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well, I switched relays between the two seats and the drivers side still won't work. I guess its the seat heaters. Wonder why both the bottom and the back went out together? My starter bendix sounds funny, seats won't heat and I need a set of tires, time to trade.
The bottom and back heater pads are wired in series (6V heaters), which is why they would both go out together.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have heard that the driver's seat wiring goes bad where the top and bottom pad connect from repeated reclining. Anyone know of any validity to this?
Very common issue. Just fixed it on the Excursion. You can pull back the leather seat cover on the bottom front and take a look. Don't be shocked to find the remains of a fire...

·
Registered
472 Posts
...Don't be shocked to find the remains of a fire...
Maybe this explains why I feel like it's burning my buns! :lol:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Well time to bump this up!!

My driver's side seat heater quit working and the other still works. Has anyone had these repaired. I hear the click of the relay and the switch light comes on.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I'm having the same issue as everyone else, driver's side not working, passenger side is fine. I'm pretty sure it's the heating elements in the seat. I'm going to try to fix mine soon, will let you know what I find.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Well time to bump this up!!

My driver's side seat heater quit working and the other still works. Has anyone had these repaired. I hear the click of the relay and the switch light comes on.
When my 09 F550 drivers seat heater went out, the dealer replaced the drivers side element on the bottom cushion. It went bad @ about 20K miles, and was replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to also have get on this, it is starting to get cold in the morning and will also post an update.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to also have get on this, it is starting to get cold in the morning and will also post an update.
Any update???

My driver side seat heat took a crap this morning apparently...Switch still lights up and relay still clicks :thdown:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts