The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok fellas, Here is one for you.

So started getting a part time clunk. Not heavy enough tone for it to be in the rear but sometimes close. Tone was a little deep but I could tell it was extremely close to the tubes in the driveshaft by having noted heavy with an instant thin metal resonance. Never a constant, this sound. Started getting "unwindinding" which is accelerating with a drive components ( gears and splines) all would forward to leading surfaces. Let off and the heels of gears and splines travel back to preceding spline, gears or other surfaces' leading faces. Then it started in with the 45mph hop. Ok, can't put off.

TDS member and customer was at the shop.
Hey come out here Im going to show you how to diagnose these conditions.
Do you hear what sounds like a tiny knock? Yep. Ok, search the forums. You will find people talking about grease taking up the slop in those splines. Oh yeh? Oh oh yes, it's nonsense but be polite. What's happening there is the planes start binding. On take off the axle has some twist . The axle length needs to lengthen for this to happen. His is why it's a slip joint. The sound is the biding releasing.
So do you here a lighter tone resonance close to the noise? Yes. Ok we need to be by these thin tubes. Not enough wear and movement spline to spline edges.
Ok,so we are going to joints at diff end and double Cardin u joint trans end.
Out come to pry bars. Movement twisting against each no play found. Well were do we go? Diff? No, it's heavy toned extremely close to the tubes. We stay here where we were led.
Oh my, what do we have in first photo?
Needle bearing forced out of cup through the grease seal. This was the side WITH the great. Go ahead and save that photo. Wow, thats wild Nick. Watch, you will see wild. Slice strap, thud. Now what do you see? Well greasy needles on the one side, no needles and assume that pile of rust dust used to be needles.
Yes, Exactly. Intermitant heavy but not ring and pinion heavy with the resonance heard in tube.
Grease was only being sent to 3 of the four needle caps. This caused a condition that 3 were supporting and transmitting torque tightly. Put it in an off angle through axle position changing angle on U joint and it manifestests itself. Through sound, and harmonic vibration.
Dig dig dig, but analys your senses throughly before going buck wild.
My truck was in the body shop and inticioation of dealing with the condition when it got back I brought up the unwinding in a trans thread in an attempt to get a little info on inside the trans if my diagnostic path led me there.
Well here you are.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Above this the needle bearing that got torqued out the end if cup and thru the seal as the torque twisted down the end that no longer had needle bearings.

Below are the retaining straps. Stripping those bolts is easy. The bolts are locked in with Locktite. The head lands strip easily even if using Snap On. Heat with torch to melt locktite first. If you have trouble, slice the strap and keep moving forward. Don't play around with them. Slice away, heat strap with propane, map or oxy acetaline. Bend back with vise grips. They will fold back.. Once the stored energy from the torquing ( tightening ) if the strap bolts pulling the bolt and pinion yoke treads together, it will be much much easier to just back them out. Don't let shaft drop and ring your bell.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here you see how those intermitant; bearing dynamic conditions, sensations and sounds and occurred.

So you sure your guy has really thoroughly investigated your similar complaint?

Hope this might help some.
Unfortunately due to certain situations I believe this will be the last informational thread authored by me.
Grow relationships in your business with strength, honesty and integretity.
Try to learn at any turn you make.
When conflict occurs, look within and the answer is usually found within.
Realize set and setting.. You all are truck fans.
Learn, get along and pass it on.
In this diesel communit separation is not 7 degrees so contact will never be insanely hard.
Nicholas

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts