The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to order a 2016 Ford F-350 LARIAT, 4x4, SRW, 8' Box, 6.7L Power Stroke® 4V Diesel V8 Engine, TorqShift® 6-Speed Auto, O/D w/6.7L to replace the truck in my signature and I would appreciate some input on options. I will primarily use this as my work truck carrying about 2000 pounds in the bed plus equipment in the rear of the cab. I get in some tight turn around locations for work as well as parking at the post office, grocery store, errands, etc. I am also hoping to do some fifth wheel traveling in the future, thus the Lariat for a decent seat for my wife to travel in.

The extra cab room of the CrewCab would be nice, but after test driving, I can't convince myself that I will enjoy driving that long a truck/wide of turning radius, on a daily basis for work. With the SuperCab, I'll take the bench portion of the rear seat out to have adequate space for equipment, and to have a flat floor, it will also require removal of the subwolfer for the radio.

1) Do you think removing the subwolfer will have a significant impact on audio quality? Dealer did not think it would as the Lariat has 8 speakers plus the subwolfer. The CrewCab has the subwolfer behind the seat back and I would not need to remove the seat bench, but the truck length/turning radius is an issue.

2) FX4 Package vs just skid plates? I want skid plates for sure, not that I'll be off road, but I run a lot of side roads in WI winter driving and it seems like inexpensive protection. What is the advantage of the Rancho Branded Shocks and how do they impact the ride?

3) Heavy duty alternator vs dual alternator? I have a printer in the truck and charge my laptop and cell phone. Might occasionally run some other power equipment.

4) Camper package? Not going to ever have a slide in camper, but when I test drove buying my 02 SuperCab with 2000 pounds in back, the side sway or roll was greatly reduced with the camper package. Any reason to think that would be different now? Seems like the sway bar would be good for towing a fifth wheel as well?

5) 3.31 vs 3.55 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio? If I don't get the camper package I could get the 3.31. Would I want to?

6) Navigation system? Is it worth $900? How current are the maps and what does it cost to update them? How frequent are updates?

7) Step bars vs running boards? I need a step on the side to get equipment out of the truck box and I have running boards on my current truck. I also thought it would help protect the paint on lower truck from stones, etc. Are they still available? I couldn't find much with a quick Google search. Why have the step bars become so popular?

8) Anything else to consider or that I shouldn't be getting?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention other options I'm planning to get include:

Lariat Interior Package
5th Wheel/Gooseneck Hitch Prep Package
Roof Clearance Lights
Upfitter Switches (4)

Also I am getting Race Red exterior so I have a choice of Adobe or Charcoal Black interior. I'm leaning toward Adobe, but will it be more difficult to keep clean and looking good long term?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
For sure get the rapid heat, block heater.

Get the 3.55 with e locker and camper package, adds a few handling options.

I think the Ford spray in bedliner is worth it as is the navigation. Forgo the all weather mats and go with Husky or similar.

I think the dual alternator is a better way to go than the single heavy duty.

The round step bars are ok. I had the square ones and the round ones I have now work just as good with no problems.

I added the side board to the bed area so I can stand on it to get to my tool box. DeeZee makes side boards.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I'm leaning toward Adobe, but will it be more difficult to keep clean and looking good long term?
I ordered the Ford Carhartt seat covers from a Ford dealer on eBay. They cover the leather and fit pretty good. The brown of the Carhartt seat covers complement the Adobe interior or so I think.

·
Registered
696 Posts
The size of truck is really a matter of preference, and what you want to put up with. I love my Crew Cab long bed. It gives me the versatility that I need. I had 4 passengers, all over 6 foot tall, and ~3,000 lbs of Belgian Block in my bed a couple of weeks ago. (In retrospect, my truck was really overloaded.) On the flip side, I backed into parking space yesterday, and a couple of small cars parked next to me and instead of pulling up to the top of their spaces, they were even with my front bumper. It took an eight point turn and my backup camera to wiggle myself out of the parking lot. (Get a Back-Up Camera!) It takes a 4 lane road for me to do a U-turn. If my wife is with me, I drop her off in front of our destination, and go find somewhere else to park at the back of the lot.. 0:)

I have the Camper package with the rear sway bar, and I really like the way it tightens up the ride. A lot of folks here aren't impressed with the Ford sway bar and prefer the heavier aftermarket ones (Helwig, etc.). I drove another Crew Cab SRW Superduty a couple of months ago that didn't have a sway bar and the load felt rather "wobbly" to me. So, in my opinion, Ford sway bar is much better than no sway bar at all. The Rancho Shocks aren't really anything special - however, I really liked the Ford Hill Descent feature and Stability Control that comes with the FX4 package during last year's winter in the Northeast. (Made it safely down an icy hill just in time to watch a city bus lose it and come down sideways taking a couple of other cars with it). So I felt that FX4 with the skid plates was worth it for a few bucks more (although, the stickers are somewhat hokey-looking).

As far as the Ford sub-woofer..., the Lariat's "Premium Audio" doesn't live up to its name. The subwoofer is relatively weak, it doesn't have that low of a frequency response, and it has some odd "buzzing"" resonances at higher volumes. You had a noisy 7.3L Powerstroke, so you probably didn't even notice the audio quality over the engine, but the new 6.7 engine is so much quieter, and the newer trucks have much better sound insulation than your '02 . So, if the sub woofer is not there, (even though you have 8 other speakers,) the truck's audio will sound somewhat "tinny" and hollow - without any depth to the sound. (Disclaimer: I am really biased! I have >$2500 of aftermarket audio gear in my truck, and my wife has threatened divorce over my home audiophile equipment fetish :nerd:)

My 2 cents after a 14 months of ownership.. (I am also partial to Ruby Red. )

(On Edit) Additional Suggestion => As my knee joints get creakier, I am really happy I got the Tail Gate Step. (My 4x4 truck bed dismounts aren't anywhere near as good as they used to be, and the stripper pole and step help me to stick the landing on my feet instead of my face.)

·
Registered
584 Posts
So I felt that FX4 with the skid plates was worth it for a few bucks more (although, the stickers are somewhat hokey)

Yes, the stickers are VERY HOKEY. Used to be that you could specify "decal delete" which I did on my '93, '95, and '97 F350 CC 4X4. Also, the carpet could be deleted, which I always did. I actually use the 4X4 and get in some very muddy and cow manure rich areas.

I know, I could order an XL for no carpet. But so many options are not available on an XL. I also like a power rear sliding window, upgrade stereo, power mirrors, et al, that aren't available on XL.

While I'm at it - wood interior belongs on a, hmmm, maybe a Bentley. FAKE wood interior belongs on NOTHING!

Toyota makes a line of trucks called "Work Mate" that have no bling. Of course, these aren't available in the U.S. where "soccer dads" buy Super Duty trucks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Larry. You're confirming most of my thoughts on the options.

I live in Wisconsin so the block heater comes with a diesel and the rapid heater is standard for the northern tear states on the 2016 trucks as well.

So you have the step bar running the length of you cab and then a side board in front of the rear wheel? I looked at DeeZee and they do have a running boards like I have now, but the website looked like they only run the length of the cab and not by the box. Maybe I need to call and check.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you can't have the FX4 stickers removed anymore? My 02 was a dealer locate and they removed the stickers for me. I guess they are supposed to add some prestige to your 4x4, but I certainly agree that they are pretty hokey-looking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really liked the Ford Hill Descent feature and Stability Control that comes with the FX4 package during last year's winter in the Northeast.

How does the hill descent work? Is it automatic or do you need to turn it on as needed?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Thanks, Larry. You're confirming most of my thoughts on the options.

I live in Wisconsin so the block heater comes with a diesel and the rapid heater is standard for the northern tear states on the 2016 trucks as well.

So you have the step bar running the length of you cab and then a side board in front of the rear wheel? I looked at DeeZee and they do have a running boards like I have now, but the website looked like they only run the length of the cab and not by the box. Maybe I need to call and check.
I did not get the bar running the length of the cab and box to the rear wheel. I got the side boards that mount in the bed area. Apparently DeeZee has stopped making or selling the step boards for the bed.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Crystal, that was helpful.

I had the FX4 package on my 02, and I thought I wanted it again, just assuming it was the same. I didn't really pay attention to details of the package until RightWingNutJob mentioned using the FX4 Hill Descent feature on an icy hill. Seems like it might be occasionally useful here in WI and certainly worth the increased price over just the skip plates.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Hill Decent isn't a "get out of jail for free card" on an icy hill. You can still slide, but I feel it really helps to keep the truck from getting away from you.

I have used it as a "last resort" when I couldn't back up and go a different route. When everybody ahead of me had either run off the road or ended up going down the hill sideways, backwards, etc., I was at least able to keep my front end pointed in right direction and didn't hit anything.

Disclaimer: I also have studded snow tires, but in that situation I really should have had tire chains on all four wheels.

·
Registered
740 Posts
FX4 stickers came off my '11 and the B20's with dental floss. Do it when they're new though before the sun cooks them on. Don't forget the short box gets you the small fuel tank.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Because your going to carry around a ton constantly, I'd make sure
your truck has the four leafs and helper vs. the usual three.
Make sure you get the MAX payload for the F-350.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Go with a 350 ,355 gears, 18 wheels will get you a camper package. If you want before the end of the year you don't have much time left. Did you order yet?

Get the nav for sure if you travel it comes in handy.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I've done almost what you're about to do. I went from a 2000 SCLB to a 2013 CCLB. The turning radius of my '13 is better than my '00. I can get into tighter spaces with the longer truck. Don't give up on the CC yet! I can't say the elocker rear is going to be a lot of help, as you have to be stopped (or almost so) to engage it. If you plan on getting into lots of slippery areas, then it may be worth it. I find the 4WD makes as much difference and I can engage it at any speed. I REALLY hate the rear floor configuration of the CC, it's actually got no more useable space than the old SC and may even have less. It stinks. There's some kind of audio stuff there, so removing it may or may not make a difference. I do like the nav system and feel it's a worthy upgrade. You get much more than just the nav, so I find it worth the $. I did the dual alts on the '00 and it has been great. It actually saved my butt, because the main one (upper) went out and I could keep going until I had the time and funds to replace it. I've got the duals on the '13. As far as running boards, my stock ones are sitting in the garage and some AMP Research power boards are on the truck. They are worth every penny of the $1 large they cost. They're faster at deploying and retracting than the stock ones, so you don't have to stand there waiting to get in. Open the door and step up. They weren't that tough to install, either. I just have the skid plates. The Rancho shocks didn't seem to do anything on the '00 and were changed out to Bilsteins early on. I always like my diesels to run as slow as they can when highway cruising, so I have the 3.31 rear. The 6.7 is strong enough that it handles those just great. It's easy and quiet to run long trips on the highway and it doesn't matter what trailer is behind you, that motor just goes. Empty is real sweet, too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts