The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am newly back to the forums after my truck wound up sitting 4 years with only intermittent use.
Time to change the fluids and such.
I did search on the forum for
Motorcraft XT5QMC Mercon V Automatic Transmission Fluid
and
Ford XT-5-5QM MERCON-V Automatic Transmission
and did not come up with much relevant information.

From what I can find the XTQ5MC is closer to the original Mercon Spec that the "reformuolate Mercon 5" that initially Ford said not to use in the F250 tranny then said it was OK. The (if it truly is) older closer to the original spec XTQ5MC can be found on Amazon and other places for less per quart than the new XT-5-5QM stuff.

So which should I use? Is the newer spec'd stuff better for the tranny or should I stick with the older spec stuff even though it is Mercon V rated?

I know Mobil 1 is an option but I can get the older XT5QMC for $6.50 a quart vs 10 and change or about 75 bucks difference on a full flush/change.

Is there another economical fluid choice I should consider?

Many threads say not to use the Mercon 5 on this and other Forums and then the Ford TSO saying it is OK but a lot of reports of Mercon 5 not working as well as the older Mercon.

I am sort of looking at the Valvoline as says it is Mercon and not Mercon V
MaxLife 773775 Dex/Merc Automatic

Amazon.com: MaxLife 773775 Dex/Merc Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 Gallon, (Pack of 3): Automotive

Thoughts or point me to a thread of which ATF to use that is reasonable cost?

·
Premium Member
15,126 Posts
The Valvoline is exactly what I have in my truck. You can get it at Walmart for less than $20 a gallon. Takes 8 quarts to do a drop and fill. Occasionally they will have the Castrol Dex/Merc which I also like.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Upon further research there is two flavors of the Valvoline MaxLife, one has the picture of the odometer showing 75,000 and the other does not but does say fully synthetic on the bottle.
Prolly old news but there is SOoo many threads with little real info until you try to cut down to the facts.

My plan is to do a full change then-
Oil change 1 Rotate Tires
Oil change 2 Pull drain plug and then refill for partial tranny fluid change

rinse and repeat along with other things

·
Registered
936 Posts
I am newly back to the forums after my truck wound up sitting 4 years with only intermittent use.
Time to change the fluids and such.
I did search on the forum for
Motorcraft XT5QMC Mercon V Automatic Transmission Fluid
and
Ford XT-5-5QM MERCON-V Automatic Transmission
and did not come up with much relevant information.

From what I can find the XTQ5MC is closer to the original Mercon Spec that the "reformuolate Mercon 5" that initially Ford said not to use in the F250 tranny then said it was OK. The (if it truly is) older closer to the original spec XTQ5MC can be found on Amazon and other places for less per quart than the new XT-5-5QM stuff.

So which should I use? Is the newer spec'd stuff better for the tranny or should I stick with the older spec stuff even though it is Mercon V rated?

I know Mobil 1 is an option but I can get the older XT5QMC for $6.50 a quart vs 10 and change or about 75 bucks difference on a full flush/change.

Is there another economical fluid choice I should consider?

Many threads say not to use the Mercon 5 on this and other Forums and then the Ford TSO saying it is OK but a lot of reports of Mercon 5 not working as well as the older Mercon.

I am sort of looking at the Valvoline as says it is Mercon and not Mercon V
MaxLife 773775 Dex/Merc Automatic

Amazon.com: MaxLife 773775 Dex/Merc Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 Gallon, (Pack of 3): Automotive

Thoughts or point me to a thread of which ATF to use that is reasonable cost?

1. Any lubricant manufacturer who claims that their formulation "Meets Mercon Specs" is doing so on their own, as Ford hasn't approved or licensed the Mercon spec in years. Maybe even a decade by now.

2. It is true that Ford did not initially validate Mercon V for use in the 4R100, but since that time, Ford HAS validated Mercon V for use in the 4R100, and Ford doesn't currently license any other formulation for that transmission.

3. While Mercon was also specified for our transfer cases, Ford has NOT approved Mercon V for use in our transfer cases. Ford instead introduced another fluid, surprisingly called "Transfer Case Fluid" (Ford usually makes things more difficult than that). Be sure NOT to use Mercon V in the transfer case that specifies Mercon, even though it is approved to use Mercon V in a transmission that specified Mercon.

4. XT-5-QMC is Mercon V sold in 1 quart bottles.

5. XT-5-5QM is the same Mercon V sold in 5 quart jugs.

6. XT-5-GM is the same Mercon V sold in 1 gallon jugs.

7. XT-5-DMC is the same Mercon V sold in 55 gallon barrels.

8. All of these different Motorcraft part numbers of Mercon V transmission fluid have the SAME chemical formulation. They fall under the same Ford Internal Reference Number ( 184629 ) which indexes to the same Material Safety Data Sheet, that was last revised in September of this year (2015). There is no different formulation that is "closer to the old Mercon spec". That is simply not the case.

9. Ford makes a couple of other Mercon Automatic transmission fluids, namely Mercon SP, and Mercon LV. Neither of these transmission fluids should be used where any other type of transmission fluid is specified, including each other, Mercon V, Mercon, Type F, etc. So I would avoid using Mercon SP or LV in the 4R100.

10. None of the foregoing would preclude me from using Mobil One Synthetic Transmission fluid in my 4R100. It may very well be that Valvoline has a similar fully synthetic transmission fluid that works just as well, regardless of them stepping out on their own when claiming compliance with a specification that Ford no longer licenses or supports. If other people have had LONG TERM luck with the Valvoline fluid, then that is hard to argue with. I've had 15 years of good luck with Mobil One, that was recommended to me 15 years ago by Mark Kovalsky.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts