The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My outside temp and MPG read fine. I can fill the tank and it will say 175 miles to empty. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Are you reseting the overhead when you fill up?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Excursion never needs reset. I assume it takes the fuel level input and calculates off the average MPG?

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Mine did this once after doing some steep off roading while retreaving a nice 8 pointer. The tank was below 1/4 and it took about 20 miles after filling up for the MTE to read correctly. Is your gauge reading correctly.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried today to reset it and you cannot reset the MTE. You can reset the average MPG. Does anyone know what "module" or where the computer is that takes these inputs to display this info? I will swap from my Excursion and see if the issue moves.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
I thought it read it from the float so is your gauge on the dash reading correctly? Take a rubber mallet and hit the sides of your tank. Some that have had the float stick after a fill up have fixed it by doing this.

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
Do you shut off the truck while you fill it up? Mine would act screwy for a while if I didnt do that on my 99.... (Dash gauge would take longer to come up.. but computer would act screwy for longer,,) Just a thought.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, and it is that way with a full tank after 5-7 shut downs. Always seems to say around 170 MTE.

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
Unplug both batteries over night and it should reset itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ever figure this out? Mine has the same issue but it was after I had replaced the overhead console computer. Was wondering if there is some configuration that needs to be done or whether there is another sensor that sends the info that went bad while my original OH console computer was down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts