The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 F-350 7.3. 4x2 dually, 3in down pipe, open air filter
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok y’all so I just replaced my coolant in my truck with the coolant these obs trucks call for and I also replaced the thermostat. From what I read if ur truck is a 96 and up you need a long thermostat but my old one was short. I went ahead and put a long one In but my truck is still running 3/4 hot. I was thinking about goin ahead and doin a water pump but I just spent around $200 just on coolant. Any advice one this. New to these trucks and the way they are aspose to run

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sounds like you have air trapped in the system. You don't need to replace the water pump unless it's leaking. Is your fan coming on? That could be another problem. Check the water when it's cold and is it full?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Overheating is not the same as the gauge needle reading high. Is the needle in the NORMAL range on the gauge? That's NORMAL - not something to fix or be worried about. If you suspect the gauge is wrong, use a non-contact (IR) thermometer to measure the heads when the engine is at operating temperature.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like you have air trapped in the system. You don't need to replace the water pump unless it's leaking. Is your fan coming on? That could be another problem. Check the water when it's cold and is it full?
Ok I’ll bleed the air out. And yes it’s full when cold. And the truck cools down at lights so I assume the fan is working

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Overheating is not the same as the gauge needle reading high. Is the needle in the NORMAL range on the gauge? That's NORMAL - not something to fix or be worried about. If you suspect the gauge is wrong, use a non-contact (IR) thermometer to measure the heads when the engine is at operating temperature.
Ok I appreciate it. Before I changed the coolant it would read like 1/4 of the gauge now it’s way higher and just wanted to make sure I wasn’t gonna burn anything up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It should not be cooling down at a stop light. Just driving around town the temp should stay constant.
Driving around it moves a lot. If I’m in direct sunlight it will run 3/4 but if I’m goin down with a lot of trees overhead it will run 1/4 to 1/2 hot. And at a stop light it will go down to about 1/2

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just turned the truck on and my fan is engaged I tried to stop it but couldn’t. Would this cause anything

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
This doesn't specifically apply to diesels, but it's still worth reading:

(click this text)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts