The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a little p/s leak and am not 100% sure if it's leaking from where I think it is. It looks like it's coming from the return line on the gear box. There is some play in the tubing that goes through the connector. The truck recently was bullet-proofed, so they separated the cab. I'm wondering if there is supposed to be an o-ring on that line or some other piece that keeps it in line and keeps it from leaking. I was going to just replace the line, but I don't want to spend the $80 if it's just an o-ring or something similar that I can replace.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
O ring on line and it is a floating line. The end of line is flat flanged with o ring.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, there should be a rubber o-ring between the hose flange and the gear box? I'm going to see if I can find any pictures of it to get a better idea.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If by p/s you mean power steering, they are Teflon Flat Washers now on the replacement PS hoses/lines... I also just finished (May) bulletproofing my 2003 6.0 (cab on, did it myself) and when I finished and test drove, the Power Steering return line was leaking PS fluid all over the DS of the block, exhaust manifold, and getting blown around everywhere on the DS side by the fan... Frickin' mess, and a PITA to diagnose as the RED fluid was initially thought to be the Rotella ELC coolant leaking (also RED)... I finally located it (swivel fitting at bottom of the PS pump) and replaced the pump and both PS hoses, each of which came with white Teflon Flat Washers at each connection...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the teflon washers replaced, and it still leaked from that fitting. I can't seem to find pictures of the hose, so I am wondering if there is an o-ring missing that should be in there or what. I took it back to the shop that did the bulletproofing, and they are going to check it out again. I have a lot of slop in the steering, which I think is the gear box as the tie rods and such look like they are in good shape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts