The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 with 79K Miles. Noted black smoke coming out the exhaust under normal acceleration and cruising which I haven't had before. When I came to a stop noticed the "miss" at idle and even smoking at idle.

No check engine light yet but pulled the codes and have the P0275.

Reading previous posts for this issues seems to be a bad injector. My FICM was rebuilt 2 years ago with the Atlas Tune and shows good voltage at 48V. I replaced the STC fitting and standpipes last summer for no start. Current pressure is fine with 550 at 22%, 1300 at 30%, 1400 @ 40%, and close to 4000 when under full throttle.

I've used Stanadyne at just about every fill-up since new as I'm the original owner. I'm kind of surprised to see an injector failure at such low mileage. Common?

Also, what's a good source/brand for a replacement? Should I do all 4 on that side while I'm at it?

Thanks,Tim

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
At your mileage, I would only replace the one. Buy it at Auto Nation White Bear Lake. You can even call them and ask for internet sales.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool....thanks for the response. Hopefully it's the fix because it's definitely dumping excess fuel with all the black smoke. I've read a few posts where it seems the new injector didn't fix their issue but the posts never have any other follow up to say what the final fix was. One other I found was the FICM but that seems rare to affect just one cylinder.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I agree, and besides your FICM was somewhat recently rebuilt.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replaced the #5 injector today and no more smoke and running smooth again. Noticed a few Glow Plug codes in there also...never had a check engine light for any of them to date. Ohm check on the passenger side shows one at 330 ohms so will replace a few of them soon. P0672, P0673, and P0678 Codes for glow plugs. Have not done an ohm check on the drivers side yet but I suspect 2 with issues over there since the other codes are cylinders 2&8. I've never had issues starting though but it's usually pretty warm in AZ most days.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Good deal. Very methodical testing and repair. Gotta have that w/ a 6.0L.

Did you go with an OEM injector? From where and how much was it?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did it was an OEM rebuilt off ebay for $215 shipped with 2 Year warranty and a $50 core charge I checked my glow plugs on the drivers side for resistance and they all checked good but I went ahead and replaced the 2 that had codes but the codes still come back. The passenger side code was cleared with the new glow plug so I'm guessing it's a module issue since the resistance checks are all at 1.5 ohms on for all four glow plugs on that side through the wire harness on top of the intake manifold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts