The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this code come up on our Transit last week. It had low power (not limp mode, just low) and it went through a tank of DEF in about 1000 miles. I had researched the code here and found that on the 6.4L, when they threw this code, the #1 EGR temp sensor was replaced per TSB. I checked with the parts dealer to see if they had one or when they could have one and since our warranty appointment was far enough away, I ordered one and left it there for the tech to install if they needed it.

Well, he got in there and checked the resistance and found it was at 1.789K Ohms, so they got the one I ordered and installed it and now Baby is back. I don't know what the range is supposed to be but 1.789K ohms was too much.

Anyway, I'm not concerned about it failing again because anything that runs through their shop gets a 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty. For us, that will be over 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue at 85000 miles on mine and it took around 7 to 8 days to get the part which for me was over 2000 miles . Engine still run ok just did not accelerate well and like you the DEF fluid consumption went up drastically .

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She's back. 120,000 miles and I got the same code. Now it's on national back order. I'm glad I posted this here since I had forgotten about the increased DEF consumption. I will certainly park it until we can get it in.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Got the P040D code yesterday shortly after I noticed power seemed down.
Made a few stops on the way home and everytime I shut down the engine acted like it would tear the motor mounts out...

Located and tested the EGR #1 sensor and it checked good at room temp.*
Turns out Ford has a late 2016 TSB saying if that code shows up don't bother troubleshooting farther- just replace the sensor.
Have 3 Ford dealers here and none had one in stock...supposed to be here tomorrow.
BTW the part number given in the TSB is slightly different and it is MUCH cheaper than the original part number- $37

One thing that gave me a lot of trouble was getting the sensor unscrewed from the exhaust manifold, liberal application of Kroil and heating/cooling cycles with a torch I finally broke it loose. Even so be prepared to pull on the wrench with all you have.
You will need a 17mm flare wrench- you'll round it off with an open end and can't get a box end on it unless you are willing to disassemble the connector or cut the wire.
Ford service info says to put nickel antisieze on the threads of a new one- but I can see they did NOT use any on the original build. Probably would have come loose a lot easier if they had!

*So since I had the suspect sensor out I decided to test it. Resistance is about 250 ohms at room temp, goes down when put on ice and goes up when heated....BUT heating it beyond a certain point with a butane lighter it goes OPEN. Which is what the P040D basically says is wrong.

Added in edit> Sensor in/code gone. New one looks different and it appears the nut may be stainless where the old looks like it wasn't. Made in Bulgaria:huh:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info on that. Thanks for adding what you found was going on with the heat resistance test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts