The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Ford F-250 7.3 liter faulting dtc p1316 but the engine is running fine I clear the code and it comes back as soon as I start the truck any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Larry

·
Registered
998 Posts
P1316 Injector Circuit / IDM Codes Detected, run a buzz test to get the IDM codes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks, ran the buzz test and code p1277 high to low side open cylinder 7 any ideas where to go now

·
Super Moderator
25,334 Posts
Replace the Under Valve Cover Harness on the passenger side. Could be external to the valve cover, but the UVCH issues are common. You're likely just running on 7 cylinders.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
klhanson, thanks for the reply. So just one question the engine runs really smooth no noticeable miss is that possible on 7 cylinders thanks for your help this thing is driving me crazy
Larry

·
Registered
500 Posts
klhanson, thanks for the reply. So just one question the engine runs really smooth no noticeable miss is that possible on 7 cylinders thanks for your help this thing is driving me crazy

Larry

As Klhanson said Check the harness under the valve cover either has come loose a bit or is needing replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I’m going to check the under valve cover harness tomorrow.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks, I’m going to check the under valve cover harness tomorrow.
The "hansen" feller knows. Good luck, I'm betting you'll find your issue.
By the way, greetings from a fellow 7.3 owner ~100 miles up I-81.

·
Super Moderator
25,334 Posts
These engines will run fairly smoothly with a dead miss on one cylinder. They'll also run on just one bank of cylinders at idle, but that would be noticeably down on power.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I replaced the uvch today cleared the codes started the engine and the code p1316 came back ran the buzz test faulted p1277 high to low side open cylinder 7 same as before. Could it be the IDM?
Thanks fo any help Larry

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ok so I replaced the uvch today cleared the codes started the engine and the code p1316 came back ran the buzz test faulted p1277 high to low side open cylinder 7 same as before. Could it be the IDM?

Thanks fo any help Larry

Hi did the truck run better or the same. I would move that injector to cylinder 5 and put five in 7 and retest if it fallows the injector its the injector if it does not then I look at the idm. You could also check resistance with a multimeter on the injector coil on the other injector coils and compare to 7 be for you swap them.

·
Super Moderator
25,334 Posts
Hi did the truck run better or the same. I would move that injector to cylinder 5 and put five in 7 and retest if it fallows the injector its the injector if it does not then I look at the idm. You could also check resistance with a multimeter on the injector coil on the other injector coils and compare to 7 be for you swap them.
I agree completely. First check the resistance across each injector. Should be around 2-5 ohms, IIRC. You can do that from outside the VC. The pin to Injector 7 will be two pins back from the center pin on the connector. The center pin is common, and the location to each injector corresponds with it's position on the engine.

Solenoid coils don't go out that frequently, but it happens. If you find that #7 solenoid coil bad, you can just swap the solenoid with a core injector or order a coil from an injector rebuilder. No real need to pull the whole injector.

Also check where the harness runs across the driver's side valve cover for chafing. That's easily fixed with some electrical tape.

Another thing to do before condemning the IDM (assuming you find everything OK at the injectors and valve covers) is to run a continuity check between the valve cover connectors back to the IDM. The open circuit can be anywhere between the two. IDMs don't go bad that often.

The pins at the valve cover gasket where the wiring connects can also be corroded.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply’s. The truck ran about the same but I do have a little miss at cold start not plugged in but after it warms up it runs fine it’s been doing that for a while with no check engine light. I checked the resistance and all were 3.3 ohms
I will check the wiring on the drivers side valve cover for chafing. I had an issue with chafing wires on the valve cover about 10 years ago and it affected all 4 cylinders on drivers side taped the wires and put some insulation around the wires and no issues since.
There is no corrosion on the plug or valve cover pins but I cleaned those with some electrical cleaner just to be safe side. I will also check the wiring from the IDM to the valve cover

Thanks Larry

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys,
I’m still trying to figure out what is going on with this truck. So this morning I checked all the wires on the drivers side harness above and the valve cover no chafing that I could see.
So yesterday afternoon I checked the codes again and got new code p0475 and still had the p1316. Ive had the ebpv unplugged for years with no check engine light so i thought I would plug it back up and maybe the p0475 would go away but it did not but the p1316 did wit it unplugged I get both, plugged up i just get the p0475. I’m really confused now it doesn’t make any sense to me.

Thanks Larry

·
Super Moderator
25,334 Posts
That's strange. The EBPV circuits should have no affect on the injector circuits. You might have a short between circuits somewhere. Probably going to be real hard to find. :frown2:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah i know what you mean, not sure which way to go now the really weird thing is the engine is still running strong . thanks for your help if you can think of anything else let me know i’m going to unplug the ebpv and go from there. I’m going to see if I can trace the ebpv wires and see if possibley they are in the same wire loom as the injector circuits wish me luck.

Thanks again Larry

·
Super Moderator
25,334 Posts
The circuits all come together at the 42 pin connector over the driver's side valve cover. You said you had repaired some chafed wires over that valve cover, so that might be a place to start.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
klhanson thanks for all your help. I will check the wires at the 42 pin plug again,but not today I’m going to give it a break today cause it’s driving me crazy haha also thanks to all replies.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys I haven’t had a chance to do anymore troubleshooting on the wiring the weather has been really crappy and I have to work outside. So that being said I drove the truck today ran fine as usual but I did notice a little fluctuation in the rpms at idle looks like it was fluctuating about 50 rpms up and down just wondering if this has to do with idm code or something else.

Thanks again Larry

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi fellas,
So I finally got a chance to do some more troubleshooting and checked the circuits from idm to valve cover harness all show within specs checked 42 pin connector to valve cover harness looks lik it’s good. So I cleared rather codes ran it for a little while and noticed like I said before I’m getting a little fluctuation in rpms at idle-not much that being said I checked the codes again and the p1316 and p0475 are gone but faulted another code p1000 I’ve been driving the truck for about a week hoping it would go away haha but check engine light is still on checked it again today and same code p1000 any ideas what to do next.
Thanks for any help. Larry

1 - 20 of 26 Posts