The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light came on on my 2011 F350 so I brought it to the dealer (which is supposed to be a reputable one). They told me it was code "P20BA" which is a redundant heater code that means its either something to do with the glow plugs or a heater that is inside my heater core but either way it would take a couple of days to fix. I left it and on the second day they called to tell me that Ford tech had them go through a series of tests and at the end of the tests if the light went out to ship the truck. So of course the light turned off. They told me this with a smile and said they know it will come back on and to call as soon as it did. Sure enough, i didnt make it out of the parking lot and the light came back on. I made another appointment, brought it in and again on the second day they called to tell me they had to do the same thing and the light went back off but this time they "think" they traced it back to the DEF tank heater but were also waiting for a call back from ford tech. Of course this part is not covered under warranty (53k miles on the truck) and the part is $250 plus labor. I told them to figure it out with ford tech and to call me when they have a definitive answer and not just a guess and I will bring it back in. Has anyone else had this code or know anything about it?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
My check engine light came on on my 2011 F350 so I brought it to the dealer (which is supposed to be a reputable one). They told me it was code "P20BA" which is a redundant heater code that means its either something to do with the glow plugs or a heater that is inside my heater core but either way it would take a couple of days to fix. I left it and on the second day they called to tell me that Ford tech had them go through a series of tests and at the end of the tests if the light went out to ship the truck. So of course the light turned off. They told me this with a smile and said they know it will come back on and to call as soon as it did. Sure enough, i didnt make it out of the parking lot and the light came back on. I made another appointment, brought it in and again on the second day they called to tell me they had to do the same thing and the light went back off but this time they "think" they traced it back to the DEF tank heater but were also waiting for a call back from ford tech. Of course this part is not covered under warranty (53k miles on the truck) and the part is $250 plus labor. I told them to figure it out with ford tech and to call me when they have a definitive answer and not just a guess and I will bring it back in. Has anyone else had this code or know anything about it?
Hi tdq600,

It sounds like your dealership is working hard on your concern. Please keep me in the loop and let me know how things progress. If you have any questions, I'm just a PM away.

Have a great weekend!
Crystal

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just replaced one. Its a code for the heater in the def tank. Its replaced in the pick up assembly.

Sent from my XT901 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crystal, I agree they are working hard on it. I like my dealership and know they will get to the bottom of the problem.

spedkid94, Thanks for the response. Does the part cost $250 like the dealer told me?

·
Registered
294 Posts
That sounds about right. Its essentially a fuel pump with a heater. Easy to do yourself if you want to save some money

Sent from my XT901 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
500 Posts
Why isn't this part of the emissions warranty?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, changed out the heater/pump in the def tank, drove about 5k miles and last night the check engine light came back on with a P20BD and a P20BE code. Both times the check engine light came on was after I used my remote start. Back to the dearlership tomorrow!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why doesn't Ford Cover This?

Well, changed out the heater/pump in the def tank, drove about 5k miles and last night the check engine light came back on with a P20BD and a P20BE code. Both times the check engine light came on was after I used my remote start. Back to the dearlership tomorrow!
I am having the same issue but a different DTC. P205C Redundant Tank Temperature Sensor Circuit Low. Local dealer wants $277.00 for the part. I think I can install it, but if your issue is back, is this something Ford should be covering?

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Engine Light came on in my 2011 F-350 PowerStroke 6.7L and it was for P20BA (Reductant Heater A Control Performance). That showed that the DEF tank heater was having a problem. Capitol Ford did the testing and found that there was a ReCall for the version of the on board computer's firmware version. They updated the firmware to the current version and now the Engine Light is off. The diesel exhaust filter is not being cleaned as often. The instant mileage gauge seems to more stable for highway mileage at 22+ mpg.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this same code on my 2012 F250 - Canadian made truck with 109000 km's! I am wondering if there might be a recall or TSB more current that may be my solution to this same issue. I too have noticed the "clean exhaust filter" come on quite regularly. When I went to a dealership in Calgary area I was quoted +$1300.00 for the service work!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to me as well, so after hours of researching and attempting to figure out if it was the DEF heater or the glow plugs, I made an appointment with my Ford Dealer for the following week. In the mean time I went and fueled up because diesel (gas) was at half tank and I like to keep it as close to full as possible when it's so cold. When I started the truck the light dod not come on.

It hasn't come on in 3 days. I cancelled my appointment and will monitor it closely for now.

This is my first Ford Diesel, does anyone know, are these Ford Diesels this shaky with the engine lights and error codes, or is my seeing these kinds of things quite often?

·
Registered
1 Posts
tdq600
The Engine Light came on in my 2011 F-350 PowerStroke 6.7L and it was for P20BA (Reductant Heater A Control Performance). That showed that the DEF tank heater was having a problem. Capitol Ford did the testing and found that there was a ReCall for the version of the on board computer's firmware version. They updated the firmware to the current version and now the Engine Light is off. The diesel exhaust filter is not being cleaned as often. The instant mileage gauge seems to more stable for highway mileage at 22+ mpg.
My f250 is same year and same engine. I have same code. I cleared it once and it came in again. Do you know have anymore info on the recall, so I can
quote it to the dealer?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 F250 just did the same thing. Wondering the same thing about the pump. Do I just replace it or does Ford update the firmware (how do you know if you need an update?) for free. any help would be great.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is this still and issue with Fords? My F350 just turned 100,432 miles and the CEL came on and it is this code. I have cleared it 3 times and it keeps coming back on. I would think a continuous problem like this would have a recall by now since it's been going on since 2011.

Will this code shut the truck down to idle speed? I was on the road when it the CEL came on the first time and have another 500 miles on it since.

·
Registered
29 Posts
$900 and it will be ready to go today from the dealer. That smarts a little bit for something that Ford has known about for 7 years. I would have done the delete in a new york minute if I didn't have a lifetime warranty on the powertrain.

This DEF crap dreamed up by the crooked government is going to be the death of the auto industry. This is my 4th time getting repairs done to the truck since November and everyone of them was DEF related. The other 3 were under warranty, but of course the expensive one waited until warranty was up. My CEL has been on more than it has been off the last 6 months. I certainly hope I don't regret going diesel.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
"Lifetime powertrain warranty." Lol
If you don't do emissions inspections in your area, delete it and be done with it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts