The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would start a new thread for this so maybe more people would see it, assuming people ACTUALLY need to see it...
Seems to be a common problem with these trucks. Quite honestly, I’m getting tired of the emissions problems.
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago my check engine light came on. AGAIN. I pulled the code and it showed up as the reductant heater problem. Did a little research and found the letter from Ford stating that the warranty on these heaters was extended on 2011 and 2012 model trucks. Thankfully, my truck is a 2012, so after reading all of the fine print, I was covered.
Next day, took the truck to my local dealer, explained to the service writer exactly which code was permanently stored in the computer, and also informed him of the letter from ford covering this repair for 11 years or 120,000 miles. He stated that he was aware of the letter and that once they got the truck inside they would check it out and give me a call. Let me just throw this little tidbit of information in here... My truck stays in a climate controlled garage every day. It has just over 61,000 miles on it, and I mostly use it to pull my camper and my enclosed car trailer. It is babied, pampered, and absolutely flawless. There isn’t a scratch or a dent anywhere on it. I only say this because it is OBVIOUS that I take care of my stuff, and by the way I came into the dealership with EVERY pertinent piece of information they needed to take care of it, they should KNOW BETTER than to try to pull a fast one on me. Nope.
The next day I get a call from this still wet behind the ears service writer telling me that indeed my reductant heater was bad, but that the Warranty had expired on December 31, 2018. In actuality, the letter states that if the 120,000 mile limit had already been exceeded as of the writing of the letter, then the warranty would extend to 12/31/2018. I tried and tried to explain this to the young man and he refused to listen. So, I demanded to speak to the service manager. After several minutes, long enough to be briefed by Mr. Wet Behind The Ears, the service manager picked up and told me that he would look in to the problem and he would see if there was anything he could do for me. I informed Mr. Service Manager that he could repair my truck and honor Fords warranty. That’s all he could do for me. Roughly five minutes later, Mr Service Writer called me back and told me that, and I quote, the letter that Ford sends to customers and the letter that Ford sends to dealers say too different things. HIS letter says the warranty expired. MY letter says it’s still good. Bottom line is my truck got repaired, under warranty, and all has ended well. FOR ME. What if I had been just average Joe Blow Super Duty owner and hadn’t done my homework before I went in? I would have had to give them $950 for that repair.
Besides all that, considering my above statement about how I treat my truck and how it’s used, this is the THIRD time it’s been back to Ford for an emissions related problem. Once it had to be towed in. It’s always been covered, so far, but isn’t this a bit ridiculous? My last Powerstroke was a 96 with well over 200,000 miles on it and it was a great truck. This one, not so much.
Should I be considering the removal of the DEF?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts