The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the NOW OBSOLETE part number: F81Z-2780-AA . The factroy one lasted 19 years. The genuine Ford replacement lasted 23 months. Both had locked solid in the released position with the coil return spring having fallen out the bottom. Has anyone either gotten the spring back in correctly, or come up with a work around? All that spring does is return the foot lever back to the fully released position. I'd like to do something more than fit a large rubber band... Both of mine developed a lot of slop and so that seems to have caused the spring to pop out. Not seeing anything to anchor the inside of coil of the spring to while putting the end hook over the little notched arm.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
I've had two parking brake controls lock in the applied position now. The first one was the original, and lasted till ~2018. What happens is the spring that releases it slips off the finger that relaxes the grip the spring has on the gear that holds it applied. First I removed the assembly and fixed it, but it failed again. I bought a new one, and while on a road trip 3000+ miles from home it had the same issue. Both times I clipped the cable to release the parking brakes. Once I got home, I bought a new one and installed it. It did the same thing, so I removed it and welded a nub on the finger to keep the end of the spring from slipping off. Been good so far. I recently threw the original one away or I'd take some photos of the problem area.

From your description, I doubt you'll have much luck repairing yours.
XL3Z-2780-AD appears to be the replacement for the obsolete number.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had two parking brake controls lock in the applied position now. The first one was the original, and lasted till ~2018. What happens is the spring that releases it slips off the finger that relaxes the grip the spring has on the gear that holds it applied. First I removed the assembly and fixed it, but it failed again. I bought a new one, and while on a road trip 3000+ miles from home it had the same issue. Both times I clipped the cable to release the parking brakes. Once I got home, I bought a new one and installed it. It did the same thing, so I removed it and welded a nub on the finger to keep the end of the spring from slipping off. Been good so far. I recently threw the original one away or I'd take some photos of the problem area.

From your description, I doubt you'll have much luck repairing yours.
XL3Z-2780-AD appears to be the replacement for the obsolete number.
Thanks for the reply, however:

Looks like it is time to come up with a workaround... Perhaps rig up a different spring to keep upward tension on thefoot lever.
1623770622023.png

Looks like it is time to rig up a dofferent spring to keeo upward tension on the foot lever....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So no luck with finding a left over one anywhere. Has anyone rigged up a spring to replace the coil spring that sits inside the assembly (before it falls out)? Thinking of a spring on the outside of the assembly hooked between the foot lever and the body of the assembly. It would need to be approximately 2" with the pedal up and 6" with the pedal all the way down. Last resort would be having to manually bring the pedal up with my foot with the release lever pulled each time I wanted to release the ebrake. Message to Ford: ***, there are millions of these trucks still in service and this is obviously a failure point. You are responsible for needless safety concerns, especially for manual transmission trucks.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
I found that number at Autonation Ford White Bear Lake. Rather than relying on some Amazon seller who may not know what it does fit, I'd suggest calling Autonation Ford WBL with your VIN to confirm whether or not it fits a 2001. I know I bought one with the obsolete number in April of 2019, and don't doubt you that it's been obsoleted between then and now. Talk to them and see whether that number I suggested fits. My money is on yes, it will.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Once again, I appreciate your responses, but those guys misadvised you on that part #XL3Z-2780-AD being a suitable replacement, as that unit does not integrate the hood release, as can be seen from side by side comparison of pics of the two units. So the fitment guides I've pulled up (likely from the same data base) are correct. Units for newer trucks are way different. Back to a workaround...

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
I don't recall anything about an integrated hood release, but it was a while ago. The hood release on my truck bolts to the bottom of the dash. It may have used the parking brake control as an anchor point for the cable, but again, it was a while ago. What I recall was unbolting it to get it out of the way.

I think it would be easier to reconfigure the hood release (if necessary) than to jury-rig a broken parking brake control.

Did you actually talk to Autonation WBL? That PN doesn't come up on a search using your year and model, but fitment DOES say it fits a 99 F250, which is the same as an '01 F350. Maybe Ford discontinued the original PN because I complained about the release failing on one that was nearly new, although it is 20 year old stuff.

You might try a wrecking yard for a replacement. Any SuperDuty truck would likely have one, and an auto truck may have one that was rarely even used.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, is yours a '99? That was the only year referenced anywhere as a match for the part # you wrote about. If your hood release bolts to your dash separately, then it is a differet set up for my '01 and no doubt it won't work for me..

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
I went out and looked after I posted. The hood release is vertical by the A-Pillar. It's the brake release that's bolted to the bottom of the dash. As far as I know, 99 thru at least 02 would use the same parking brake brake control. Why would Ford use something different for years when the cab is basically identical? The bean counters tell the engineers to make things the same to cut costs.

If you haven't called Autonation WBL with your VIN, you should do that. They can tell you whether XL3Z-2780-AD it will fit.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My '03 has the vertical hood release lever and horizontal brake release lever. They are bolted together, but not "integrated." I suggest giving Autonation a call about the part listed above (It looks like the part in my early 03)...what can it hurt? Worst thing they tell you is it doesn't fit. Theloanpro, is the last picture you posted your part? I don't see the hood release on it.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Playing around with the parts fitment guide (only one. It seems all the parts suppliers are using it) when looking up the part number listed above, it fits all F-250s 99 to 2004 with all engines except the V10 and the 7.3, which makes no sense. So, I'm thinking a data entry clerk had a bad day. Mechanically, there is no difference between these parts on those vehicle that I can see.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Side by side pics of the two part #s:

XL3Z 2780-AD:

Part # reference for XLSZ2780-AD

As you can see, there is no integrated hood release on the XL------- No doubt, Greg, you have the same F81Z----- assembly as klhansen and as do I. Appreciate the interest, but it is clear the two parts are not interchangeable and I wouldn't want someone assuming they were. The XL3Z------ part is also discontinued anyway.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If you look at the list of "other part numbers" at the bottom of your post, you'll see they are the same part. Personally I would buy the part wherever I could find it and attach it to the hood latch because looking at mine the parking brake assembly looks like the one listed, and the hood latch comes off with a couple of bolts. I found several locations with it available with a quick Google search. Again, call the above listed Ford dealer. They have provided tons of great service and advice to members of this forum.

Worst case scenario, you buy the part and cannibalize the spring out of it to fix yours.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
F81Z-2780-AA is not in that part reference screenshot for the XL3Z------- #. I'm just gonna rig mine up with a different spring, if I can't get the spring that fell out to work ( it is intact)and call it a day. No sense trying to use a junk yard one as that would probably be on its way out, seeing how this new one I installed in July, 2019 failed.

·
Registered
394 Posts
XL3Z is listed as the other part number for the XLS. My brake is the original, 230k miles on it, and I'm a religious user of it. You do what you want. You got some good advice and options here, but you go your own way. I'm sure it would be easy to rig a bungie cord or tighty ****** waist band up to return the pedal too. I hope it works out for you.

·
Super Moderator
26,510 Posts
Like Greg687 said, you can do what you want. It's no skin off my nose.

But it seems to me that you're taking the hard way out. Even if the one without integrated hood release bracket "doesn't fit" I could cut the hood release off the original and weld it on the replacement in about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Better believe I can do what I want..at my age, lol. Well your solution to me is the taking the hard way out. Cutting the hood release off and welding it on the replacement sounds like more trouble than its worth, let alone any other issues such as does the replacement have the same mounting holes, the same physical characteristics and the like. I tried this afternoon to reseat the coil spring...Fugget it. Ain't no way to get that back in without possibly some speciality tools. I'm really surprised more members haven't run into this issue. Oh well, lucky me. Take care, guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts