The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all

new here, would appreciate any input. back in the early to mid 90's, the 7.3 direct injection navistar international T444E (truck form) motor was marinized for marine use by marine corporation of america (mca) and marketed as the (inboard) M444E stardec series / star powr (correct spelling on stardec/powr). there were three hp versions: 300/315/330 (all turboed)

in 1998 mca was sold to mercury marine by delco remy international, who had apparantly decided to get out of the marine motor market.

now, 12 years after, there is nobody at inboard mercury who carries these parts. in fact, i was not able to talk to anybody who remembered these motors.

my question is this: if one has one of these motors and something breaks or needs parts, and since parts are not available from mercury, is this a bad thing, as far as parts availability? or is it no big deal, parts is parts as long as its the same engine (7.3 direct injection navistar)?

sorry about the oddball question regarding a boat motor being posted on a truck motor forum, but this is as close as i can get as far as an opinion regarding the motors. thanks, mike

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
as far as ive been able to tell lots are the same
but the hp numbers sound a bit off a bit far off for one of these engines
but internals blocks etc should be the same
i heard there are high power marine versions of these motors around but never in trucks maybe its youre cam that gets you the power

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
One reason the power is higher on most marine engines is the fact that you have the whole lake or ocean for a coolant reservoir. :lol:

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
true higher rpms with mroe power maybe because more cooling

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
you know are you sure thats not a psd style engine
is it di or idi if idi post here if di go to the psd area lol

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
For marine gas engines the internal engine parts and the rest for that matter are for the most part not interchangeable.

The clearances are different because they run under so much load and they need to allow for more internal parts expansion due to heat buildup.

I don't know if the same is true for diesels.

Some of the outside the engine electrical parts are different due to fuel vapors which would not be a problem with a diesel.

·
Registered
150 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts