The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've purchased my 02 F350 last Fall. I've had an airbag code come on. I'm getting the code 33, passenger side issue. Upon opening the glove box, I noticed the passenger airbag is disconnected. I also noticed a dangling harness with some kind of "plug" attached to it. I'm not sure what this is for. Is anyone familiar with this? I would like to confirm that the harness attached is the one for the airbag.

Thanks
Joe

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,103 Posts
How's your wife's life insurance policy? Joking, just joking...

This is one area I'd let the dealer fix. Last thing you want is to set it off or have a dud over there when you need it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Single no kids :) I agree. I was just curious, it looks like it was disconnected for quite a long time. The bulb was burned out on the dash, and the only reason I found out is when I started fixing other things wrong (cruise, horn) and found the missing fuse for the SRS system.

·
Super Moderator
26,499 Posts
I'd have to agree with RT on getting the dealer to fix it for you. It would be different if you were the one that disconnected it. The air bag connector would have a shorting gizmo inside it that shorts the wires together when disconnected. That's to keep stray currents from setting off the air bag. You definitely don't want one of them to blow up in your face.

They're a ton of fun to set off safely (long wire to the battery). We did that once with one out of a demolition derby car. Set it on a picnic table face down and touched it off. It flew over 30 ft in the air before coming back down in a cloud of smoke. :grin2:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to be in the towing business, so very well aware! I just think this plug is weird..I haven't been to a dealer in years for any of my powerstrokes. I"ll let you know what comes of this!

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took a chance. disconnected the batteries and plugged the connector in. No more codes. That "plug" was just a jumper wire, I think it came from another car and the previous owner tried to disable the airbag but trick the computer...not the correct way. Glad its all working again.
Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts