The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you put a Fumoto valve in the passenger side to drain the coolant can you reach it with the starter in place or does the starter come out every time if you want to flush the pass side.? I'll be draining the pass side after lunch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well...............it's in. I can't imagine any way of getting to it. We'll see. I'll fill, flush with Restore and figure it out in a couple of hours. By the way, the top starter bolt is a 13mm that can be (barely) reached with a 6" 3/8ths extension. Took a while to figure that out...shoulda bought that 6 speed Cummins back in 05 and made the little woman drive a manual or stay home from the horse show.............

·
Registered
808 Posts
If you attach a clear rubber tube to the Fumoto valve and run it below and out of the way of the starter then you can flush the block drain anytime you want without having to remove the starter. I'll admit that it is a tight squeeze to get you hand up there to open the Fumoto valve but it can be done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the first flush done. The passenger side Fumoto is actually accessible reaching straight in from a small hole in the wheel well. No hose but I think I could possibly fish one on there. I just let it drain wherever it went. I put a piece of 3/8" fuel line on the front and directed it to a convenient location.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't think that you will have a very happy home life if you don't let your wife go to her horse shows. Ask me how I know. I have 2 daughters that show. Between the daughters and the wife they can make life miserable.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Without the hose it drains right on the starter. Not a recipe for long starter life. You can just leave a short section of hose on it all the time. That's what I did.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Without the hose it drains right on the starter. Not a recipe for long starter life. You can just leave a short section of hose on it all the time. That's what I did.
Makes sense, I'll hunt one down. Flush, oil cooler, EGR delete, STC fitting and blue spring upgrade done. Finishing up on the turbo cleaning and then back on the road after some ELC coolant and fresh engine oil.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have an equal length of clear tubing connected to my block drain fumoto valves and then connected them together at the bottom with a T fitting. Makes it pretty easy to flush and capture all the coolant without a huge mess.

It just hangs in front of the oil pan without any issues.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I assume you placed both sides into one drain. good idea.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I assume you placed both sides into one drain. good idea.
Thanks and yes, you are correct. It is still difficult to reach the Fumoto valve behind the starter to be able to turn the lever to allow the coolant to drain but with a little effort you can get it done.

·
Registered
84 Posts
part number or size for the block drain valve? Thank you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You guys that put the fumoto block drain and hose on the passenger side did you use a straight end or bent end on the fumoto? Also if you did the straight end did you put back on the plastic cap for the starter wires? I used a straight end and put my wire cap back on and it feels like it is pinching the hose a little.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Used a straight valve. I think I tweaked the wiring a bit to make everything happy.

·
Registered
808 Posts
You guys that put the fumoto block drain and hose on the passenger side did you use a straight end or bent end on the fumoto? Also if you did the straight end did you put back on the plastic cap for the starter wires? I used a straight end and put my wire cap back on and it feels like it is pinching the hose a little.
I also used a straight end on the fumoto. The space above the starter is very very tight and I had an awful time trying to get my starter wires reconnected and the plastic cap to secure back on. As TKO mentioned, I think I remember having to make some minor adjustments to make everything work. To be honest, it was a PITA to get is squared away but now coolant flushing is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Would it be better to use the angle one if you can get it to point down? Or would you use straight if you had it to do again?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Would it be better to use the angle one if you can get it to point down? Or would you use straight if you had it to do again?
It is hard to say at this point. Often times you really don't know how it will work out until you get into the job. You could always purchase the straight one and the angled one. Try the angled one on the passenger side above the starter and see if it works better. If not you could just mount the angled one on the drivers side (shouldn't be any issues on that side) and then mount the straight one above the starter on the pass side.

The other option is to buy three, two straight ones and one angled one, and then return the one you don't use.

Good luck bro.

·
Registered
808 Posts
One more thing, just take your time and don't stress yourself out with it. I have read your posts and realize that you have some skills. To be honest, I would rather pull the turbo than have to screw around with the starter. I friggin' hate dealing with tiny nuts/bolts that you have to be a contortionist to get to :)

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
As I recall an angled one wouldn't work because I had to route my hose over some stuff. I think the angled one would drop right on top of that stuff and make hose routing impossible instead of difficult.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts