The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologize upfront this is probably going to be a long post.
2013 F350 DRW 6.7
119,560 Miles

February 2022, I get in the truck drive about 20ish miles, stop at a job site for about 30 mins. Go to leave and all the lights light up on the dash, "Reduced Power" "Service Immediately" "Low Oil Pressure" etc etc. I had a simple scanner with me and checked and cleared codes. Drove about another 5 miles and lit up again. Contribution balance on several cylinders, wastegate vac those are the ones I remember.

Limped it to a mechanic that day and dropped it off. On the way there I did hear a slight typewriter tick. Couple days later I get a call with a rough estimate and the report. (If I can post pics see below) the estimate came in at 16 to 20k for failed emissions equipment. That's what they told me, I looked into deleting and figured I'd go that route, much cheaper. I addressed most of what they listed. Never found a fuel leak or bad vac pump. So I purchased an ezlynk with Proven Diesel Tunes.

Deleted everything, flashed the ECM & TCM and was off. During this time I didn't realize if I was getting a P160A dtc, but I getting an instrument panel cluster code. I started it up went for a short drive to test it. It was like a new truck, power, throttle response, boost etc. Get back to the garage and park it for about 3 days. I then realize that I uploaded a +50hp tune and I only wanted a +0. Day 3 I walk into the garage, with out starting it, immediately flash to a +0 tune. Then get a more goes, rough idle, contribution balance on 3 cylinders, knocking.

Stopped everything researched the knocking, logically, to me it can't be mechanical as it isn't constant with the revolutions on the engine. The knock gets louder with revving. Ok, raw diesel smell near the truck. The truck mpg calc won't register above 4mpg. So I pulled the injectors took them to Diesel Forward here in Denver. All passed. They were resealed, I bought new valve cover seals, injector fuel lines, hard crossover lines, hard CP4 lines, new fuel rails, new S&S disaster prevention kit. Methodical with installation, light grease on seals and orings. Dielectric cleaner, & dielectric grease on every electrical connection I touched, bought the fuel line socket so I could torque the fuel lines.

Started it up, rough idle, injector knock, no power. I'm still thinking it's the PCM with that P160A. Contribution balance on 2,4,&8. Flashed back to stock ECM/TCM, then back to the +0 tune. No change.

I ordered a Autel MP808 for more in depth checking. Saw that all the injectors are near the same for fuel balancing quantity except 2,4,&8.

Now I'm thinking, even more so it's the PCM. Anyone else have any thoughts or tips about this? Notes and dates on all the photos, as you can see its been a while as i fou d time and parts availability.
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

Blue Azure Sky Font Electric blue
Font Electric blue Screenshot Darkness Graphics
Font Electronic device Screenshot Multimedia Electric blue
Font Darkness Screenshot Electric blue Multimedia
Font Electric blue Audio equipment Darkness Screenshot
Computer Personal computer Netbook Output device Gadget
Output device Product Tablet computer Gadget Electronic instrument
Font Material property Music Parallel Rectangle

Font Material property Wood Paper Music

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Woulda, coulda, shoulda for sure at this point is definitely what I'm seeing, all based off the initial mechanics assessment. Kinda sucks too cause I'm not the mechanic and I'm having a hell of a time getting a straight answer from anyone, reason I'm working on it myself.

As for the valve train, please tell me if I am wrong here... Logically thinking and troubleshooting, if I had a valve train issue (mechanical - broken rocker, valve, spring, or etc.) Wouldn't the truck always have a tick or a knock? Audible level based on the rpms? The truck is quiet until about 1500 rpm and the knock is faint until about 2500 rpm.

Would a compression issue cause erratic behavior from the 2,4,&8 injectors?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts