The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
Considering how fluids are an easy way to deny warranty coverage why not use OEM MC? Just keep the receipts just in case.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
yep,..i knew that would be said....well.//blue def,is 10 min away,..dealer is 40..no big deal,..just saying.....if PBD is just as good,i'll run it,as I have been...as many issues as I have been reading here,..was just thinking about the warrany as u mentioned,.. maybe I should just go get the dealer stuff...

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
No sweat. I haven't heard anything bad about it. Most of them are API rated so it should be good to go.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Considering how fluids are an easy way to deny warranty coverage why not use OEM MC? Just keep the receipts just in case.
This is false in this context. Ford cannot deny warranty claims for not using OEM fluids. The manual says use an API certified DEF and that is the requirement. Peak Blue is an API certified DEF and that meets the manufacturer's requirements.

If you want to spend the extra money on Motorcraft DEF for your own peace of mind, do it, but let's not spread FUD.

Reactions: jwbboat

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
I guess I should clarify this a but more. Ford can and will deny warranty due on any fluids that THEY consider contaminated or not within their requirements. (See the recent CK4 situation we are in with motor oils)

Sure Peak DEF is API, BUT Ford can say your situation is due to contaminated fluid, deny your claim easily. Then you are left to fight with Peak over who pays the bill. Passing the buck 101, but totally legit and within the right of Ford to assert it's not their fault or their products fault.

Ford has a warranty now that covers 2yrs/unlimited miles for parts and service.....that's where your extra money goes. So if you buy MC DEF at a dealer or get the dealership to service the DEF they can't deny warranty coverage especially if they did the service. Just keep the receipts for anything you do at the dealer.

I'm not saying you MUST use OEM MC branded products and fluids but when you have a problem it's a lot easier to get fixed.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
yep,..i knew that would be said....well.//blue def,is 10 min away,..dealer is 40..no big deal,..just saying.....if PBD is just as good,i'll run it,as I have been...as many issues as I have been reading here,..was just thinking about the warrany as u mentioned,.. maybe I should just go get the dealer stuff...

Amazon ships anywhere......

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Wal Mart sells Blue DEF and Their own brand of DEF. The Wal Mart DEF is approx $7.88 for 2.5 gallon. I have used it often and have no problems. It also comes with a new spout with each container.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Wal Mart sells Blue DEF and Their own brand of DEF. The Wal Mart DEF is approx $7.88 for 2.5 gallon. I have used it often and have no problems. It also comes with a new spout with each container.
Same here. No issues.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ford can and will deny warranty due on any fluids that THEY consider contaminated or not within their requirements. (See the recent CK4 situation we are in with motor oils)
This is not the same thing. In the CK-4 situation Ford is playing the role of the API. Ford publishes the standards (such as WSS-M2C171–E) and the manual says that you must use an oil that meets those standards. Ford revoked the certification of CK-4. This would be similar to if the API came out and revoked their certification of Peak Blue. But in neither case can those revocations be applied retroactively.

If a problem was caused by Peak Blue's DEF while it is API certified it is still covered by your warranty because the manual says that API certified DEF is the requirement. Ford can, of course, change those requirements or create their own standard but they must clearly issue that statement to all owners (likely in the form of an amendment to the manual) and cannot retroactively change the rules. In other words, if they find that Peak Blue is causing a problem they can tell everyone to stop using it but cannot deny claims for problems caused before they issued a statement.

Your warranty and the published manuals are legal documents. This system is setup specifically to protect the rights of consumers.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Same here. No issues.
I used one jug of Peak DEF and have only used SuperTech (Walmart) since (no issues with Peak, but costs much more than Supertech). API certified, easy to obtain, good rotation of stock, and $7.88 for 2.5 gallons. Zero issues, but I did buy the MC nozzle kit on eBay for $7.00. It works much better than the nozzles that come with the SuperTech jugs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ford doesn't make diesel fuel.

Until they do, the 'must use only OEM' consumables doesn't hold water.

I have used Peak products for decades, and my family has owned or managed auto parts stores for 50+ yrs. We've not experienced any defective products from them.

The FTC says that Ford must prove that the non Ford part caused the damage. As such you would then have written proof to go back on the aftermarket supplier. (see world-wide-web dot consumer dot ftc dot gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance)

I use Peak Blue DEF and don't give it a second thought.

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
Ford doesn't make diesel fuel.

Until they do, the 'must use only OEM' consumables doesn't hold water.

I have used Peak products for decades, and my family has owned or managed auto parts stores for 50+ yrs. We've not experienced any defective products from them.

The FTC says that Ford must prove that the non Ford part caused the damage. As such you would then have written proof to go back on the aftermarket supplier. (see world-wide-web dot consumer dot ftc dot gov/articles/0138-auto-warranties-routine-maintenance)

I use Peak Blue DEF and don't give it a second thought.
My point exactly. Ford will still make you pony up for the repairs if aftermarket items fail or cause to fail components of your vehicle, you then have to battle with the aftermarket supplier to recoup your expenses. Some guys have been lucky to get fuel system failures covered by the fuel stations insurance or even their own insurance.

Using OEM DEF and having the receipts by-passes this "problem". No one has said you MUST use OEM fluids, it's just a smarter way to prevent the good ol' "it's not our failure, not our money to fix" excuse from Ford. Hence Ford CAN and HAS denied warranty coverage due to contaminated fluids used in trucks. If DEF thru Ford was $50 a gallon, sure save the cash and buy out in town. The reality is the cost difference is pretty minimal between OEM products and aftermarket fluids.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Locally, I stop at a local high volume truck stop and fill with DEF there. The last jug I purchased from Ford was $14.00 per 2 gallon container at the local Ford Dealership (it may be 2.5 gallons, I really don't remember, I just remember my mouth dropping at the 14.00 price); 2.77 per gallon at the truck stop. When last in Albuquerque I paid what I consider to be an exorbitant price for 5 gallons at that Ford Dealership (As I recall $24.00 for DEF, $8.00 to put it in). I wasn't aware of any nearby truck stops that had DEF at the pumps.

I have not tried Peak or Walmart brand as yet on my 2017 but I'd have no qualms if I ever need to.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
$5/$8/$10/$14 every 5000 miles...... In the grand scheme of what it costs to drive these 8000lb trucks..... who cares.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts