The Diesel Stop banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I don't get it.
Switch over to 1 of the oils on the list and don't worry about it.
I switched over to Valvoline at last change and will just run that from now on.

Reactions: HeavyAssault

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I used Motorcraft 15w40 on my last oil change. Used T6 since new. I wonder how many owners actually know about the Ford spec for the oil and just keep on using what they've been using. I hauled pretty heavy on a recent long trip and did not notice any difference in oil temps using conventional oil vs synthetic. If T6 eventually gets Ford's approval I'll probably go back to it. In the meantime I'll keep using Motorcraft. Easy enough to get at WM.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
There's no reason to be concerned over using CJ4 or CK4 using the list provided. Whatever OCI you want to run, or whatever OCI your samples tell you "should" be okay. It's not rocket science. 5k miles on 10w30 or 5w40 is VERY conservative due to the nature of the oil blends.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What a mess. OK, so I have Motorcraft wss-m2c171-f1 oil in the 5 quart containers from Walmart. This is what Ford now recommends in the pre-2017 6.7's? And will this same oil work in my old 1997 7.3?

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
API CK-4 Ford will not be recommending the use of CK-4 motor oils in any Ford diesel engines, new or old. Ford testing has shown some CK-4 type formulations have shown inadequate wear protection compared to CJ-4 formulations developed and licensed before 2016.
From the Ford statement.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
What a mess. OK, so I have Motorcraft wss-m2c171-f1 oil in the 5 quart containers from Walmart. This is what Ford now recommends in the pre-2017 6.7's? And will this same oil work in my old 1997 7.3?
You don't mention exactly which product/viscosity you are using but if it is on the approved list then its approved for your 1997.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
There's no reason to be concerned over using CJ4 or CK4 using the list provided. Whatever OCI you want to run, or whatever OCI your samples tell you "should" be okay. It's not rocket science. 5k miles on 10w30 or 5w40 is VERY conservative due to the nature of the oil blends.
Nope, not rocket science and I agree if its on the "Approved" list then its GTG but there is a difference between "approved" or "backwards compatible" AND "BEST" and at this time I have not found any solid argument why CJ-4 does not continue to be "BEST" for my older Powerstrokes.

Nothing in the formulation of CK-4 was designed specifically as a needed improvement for older diesels, it was designed with the primary motivation of satisfying the emissions equipment on newer vehicles. Vehicle manufacturers have zero motivation to keep my older vehicles alive, they are only concerned with minimizing warranty claims on their newer vehicles. The EPA, the folks responsible for clean air and who are responsible for CK-4 have a direct interest in seeing my older diesels removed from use.

Since I continue to have a supply of CJ-4 in Delvac-1 5-gallon buckets and I just found another 4 gallons of Delo 400 LE 5w40 last night at WalMart, I will continue to economize my existing stock by extending my overly cautious OCIs.

Does it make a difference in the big scheme of things? Not a bit but that was the point of my earlier post.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
I don't get it.
Switch over to 1 of the oils on the list and don't worry about it.
I switched over to Valvoline at last change and will just run that from now on.
I run 5w40 and the list is pretty short with many unrecognized products and high prices. I have used Mystik lubricants for nearly 30 years and have searched for the JT-8 5w40 (I have even phoned Mystik). Found one place in ATL but it was $40/gallon. How many of these do you recognize:

Maxtron Enviro Edge
Advantage HD DEO Full Synthetic
AMALIE XLO Ultimate Full Synthetic Molybdenum Fortified Blue Mountain
CARQUEST
CITGARD® SYNDURANCE® Plus Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil Duragard
Duron UHP 5W-40
Fleet Pro Elite Full Synthetic
International Full Synthetic
KLONDIKE
Lubriguard Full Synthetic
Mag 1
Mahindra
Marathon Multipower-3 Elite
MFA OIL
Monolec Ultra® Syn Heavy Duty Engine Oil
Mystik® JT-8® Synthetic Engine Oil
PEAK Heavy Duty Full Synthetic 5W-40
Premium Blue Extreme
PURUS Synthetic 5W-40
Rallye Maximum Duty Plus Full Synthetic
Sinclair
Synzol HDEO
TiLUBE
U.S. LUBRICANTS MAXIMUM DUTY-PLUS Full Synthetic
Value Tech Maxium Duty Plus Full Synthetic
Wolf's Head Extreme-Duty Synthetic Blend Full Synthetic
Xcel Maximum Duty Plus Full Synthetic

Besides I am not sold on the CK-4 for the reasons in my above post.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You don't mention exactly which product/viscosity you are using but if it is on the approved list then its approved for your 1997.
I've used 15w40 Motorcraft in my 97 since I got it. Figured I'd stay with that weight in the 2011 too since it's so hot in Florida. Seldom see 32 degrees in the winter.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I run 5w40 and the list is pretty short with many unrecognized products and high prices. I have used Mystik lubricants for nearly 30 years and have searched for the JT-8 5w40 (I have even phoned Mystik). Found one place in ATL but it was $40/gallon. How many of these do you recognize:

Maxtron Enviro Edge
Advantage HD DEO Full Synthetic
AMALIE XLO Ultimate Full Synthetic Molybdenum Fortified Blue Mountain
CARQUEST
CITGARD® SYNDURANCE® Plus Synthetic Heavy Duty Engine Oil Duragard
Duron UHP 5W-40
Fleet Pro Elite Full Synthetic
International Full Synthetic
KLONDIKE
Lubriguard Full Synthetic
Mag 1
Mahindra
Marathon Multipower-3 Elite
MFA OIL
Monolec Ultra® Syn Heavy Duty Engine Oil
Mystik® JT-8® Synthetic Engine Oil
PEAK Heavy Duty Full Synthetic 5W-40
Premium Blue Extreme
PURUS Synthetic 5W-40
Rallye Maximum Duty Plus Full Synthetic
Sinclair
Synzol HDEO
TiLUBE
U.S. LUBRICANTS MAXIMUM DUTY-PLUS Full Synthetic
Value Tech Maxium Duty Plus Full Synthetic
Wolf's Head Extreme-Duty Synthetic Blend Full Synthetic
Xcel Maximum Duty Plus Full Synthetic

Besides I am not sold on the CK-4 for the reasons in my above post.

Premium blue Extreme is Valvoline and I see that on the shelves everywhere. Walmart, Autozone, Oreilleys.
Not much more $$ than other brands.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
I've used 15w40 Motorcraft in my 97 since I got it. Figured I'd stay with that weight in the 2011 too since it's so hot in Florida. Seldom see 32 degrees in the winter.
I sure understand that. I am in FL right now and a guy could run a straight 30w or 40w year round ;-)

Although since we have received about 12" of rain in the last 5 days I might run a Marine grade HDEO...Lol.

It is kind of interesting but full synthetic is reputed to run cooler than dino oil. IIRC it releases (sheds) heat more rapidly.

I am not suggesting that is necessary or that 15w40 runs too hot, its just one of those largely useless bits of information.

I would run 15w40 if I was going to winter here.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Premium blue Extreme is Valvoline and I see that on the shelves everywhere. Walmart, Autozone, Oreilleys.
Not much more $$ than other brands.
And its $10 OFF of a 2-jug purchase right now at Wal-Mart if you print this coupon and bring it with you. You have to look in the left hand column for "Automotive (2)":

http://coupons.walmart.com/coupons/?u1=j6wtsunrnc00xkod0240b&oid=500376.1&wmlspartner=je6NUbpObpQ&sourceid=16425955041839561731&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

·
Registered
348 Posts
I run 5w40 and the list is pretty short with many unrecognized products and high prices. I have used Mystik lubricants for nearly 30 years and have searched for the JT-8 5w40 (I have even phoned Mystik). Found one place in ATL but it was $40/gallon. How many of these do you recognize: [...] Besides I am not sold on the CK-4 for the reasons in my above post.
Agreed! One has a better chance of finding unicorn tears than nearly all of the oils on this list. I have a personal beef with Ashland so Valvoline is not on my approved list. I will continue with the CJ-4 oils that I have until I find a good supply of 5W-40 CK-4 that has more than 1000PPM of phosphorus and does not want my first born for payment.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
And its $10 OFF of a 2-jug purchase right now at Wal-Mart if you print this coupon and bring it with you. You have to look in the left hand column for "Automotive (2)":

Walmart.com Coupons

The Wal Mart coupons are NOT for diesel motor oil. They are for gasoline engine oil.

Also. The Motorcraft oil sold at Wal Mart is NOT full synthetic. It is conventional dino oil or maybe a synthetic blend.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Walmart has carried the Motorcraft 15w40 forever it seems. But I have only seen 10w30 in quart bottles and that's stupid expensive. Does anyone have a line on the 5 quart jugs of 10w30 Motorcraft? I plan on going to North Carolina and Tennessee during the fall/winter months for a week or so and thought I should be prepared.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
And its $10 OFF of a 2-jug purchase right now at Wal-Mart if you print this coupon...

The Wal Mart coupons are NOT for diesel motor oil. They are for gasoline engine oil.

Also. The Motorcraft oil sold at Wal Mart is NOT full synthetic. It is conventional dino oil or maybe a synthetic blend.
Devil is in the details.

The feller I was talking to says he bought 15w40 so I don't recall he and I were talking about full synthetic.

·
Premium Member
4,028 Posts
Walmart has carried the Motorcraft 15w40 forever it seems. But I have only seen 10w30 in quart bottles and that's stupid expensive. Does anyone have a line on the 5 quart jugs of 10w30 Motorcraft? I plan on going to North Carolina and Tennessee during the fall/winter months for a week or so and thought I should be prepared.
I think your 15w40 will run just fine for a couple weeks in those frigid temperatures ;-)

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I went to a Walmart that a family friend works at as the Automotive Department Manager and he carries the 10w30 Motorcraft Diesel oil. Good to know. It's only $17.97 for 5 quarts and he has the Motorcraft filters as well and they're $17.97. Hard to beat Walmart's prices.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
81 - 100 of 122 Posts