The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guess this in a trans rebuild/upgrade thread with specific questions for anyone who has done performance builds of one. I did a mostly stock rebuild (transtar single disk, machined center, transgo) and my injectors are wounding it, so I'm building the extra trans I got. Am on 37s, tow 10K +, and am sick of being worried about it breaking.

So these are my questions/verification about what I'm doing so far with machining. I've got more pics I'll post next.

Output shaft endplay is at .060. I've read more like .020 is good....so how much does it matter and whats the proper way to reduce? ATSG doesn't even mention checking it. Only thing I can see is pressing the park gear forward on the shaft slightly but not sure that's possible, or stacking shims under 1 of the 2 bearings.

Adding an extra disk to the direct clutch. For the reverse and forward I turned a step into the edge of the thick plate for the snap ring to get correct clearance. Direct it appears if I do that again the thick plate will be too high and contact the forward drum??

OD - just machine a step again in the thick plate? Rough measurement is it'd need about a .100 step. Plate is .300" Any strength issue doing that?

Rear planetary with torringtons...anyone got a pic of about how deep each pocket is machined? Am guessing the pins are hardened and not sure if a carbide bit will be able to machine into them. But my stack clearance to center support is .065 so I don't think I really need to go overly deep since I'd like to tighten that up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
General plans are: + 1 clutch in every pack w/ stock plates, torringtons on rear planet (anywhere else), welded/machined reverse drum, 3 disk TC, HD sprag, E4OD forward drum, machined center, transgo + some sonnax valves in accumulator, billet input, and am looking into cryo of at least the OD planetary.

All of my machining is on a brake lathe so nothing high end.

And this is where I'm at right now. Components are rebuilt, just messing with figuring out the stuff in the 1st post.

Reverse hub welded and machined

Center support. Took .050 off of both sides and am running a snap ring on each side.

Polishing all of the sealing surfaces throughout the trans

e4OD drum w/machining for extra plate

And plug remove then tapped for a loctited set screw

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Looks good.

What size injectors are you running?

Must be some hybrids?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unlimited 238/100s on a S366 turbo. Day 1 of injectors trans starting slipping when the turbo lit beyond 25 psi maybe, never did that before. Can get into it sometimes without slipping but always flares on 2-3 and 3-4 now no matter the tune. Can't say the TC isn't contributing to some of the issues...either way I'll take that one out, tear down, inspect, repair, and put it in a stock truck. Only have 2 other 7.3s with bad trans.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Ya 238's are making some power. Keep us posted on how it holds up!

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
performance 4r100 build - with a few questions

I'm getting ready to remove the trans and start playing in it soon. Will be following this one.

Anymore update?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm getting ready to remove the trans and start playing in it soon. Will be following this one.

Anymore update?
Not much. Have been limping the currently installed trans along. Sheet hit the fan yesterday when I hooked up an empty 20' car trailer and trans temps got out of control right now.

This morning ordered a billet 3 disk TC from Custom Built Torque Converters From Torque Converter Technology for $325 + shipping. Haven't been able to get ahold of JW for the last week to order one of his and the single disk that's in it was $300....so this'll do for now especially for the price. Got a trip in Sept I'll bably it through and when I get back I'll unleash the 238's upon it and see what happens. Ordered an updated sunshell and 45 element sprag. Just need to go get some more plates/disks/snap rings from the local trans shop and I can get it going next week. I fully intend to pull it apart this winter again (park it come salt/snow anyways) and put some billet parts in. Am stretched thin right now with too many trucks I'm getting ready to sell.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts