The Diesel Stop banner

Performance chip

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Snowtow 
#1 ·
I have a 1995 f250 7.3 liter psd 5 speed and was wondering if there was a chip out there that would allow me to switch from economy, towing, and power. If so what brands would you recommend and also how bad is it for the engine to run it with x amount of horsepower added? Is it harmful to run it on anything other than stock? Mainly looking to run the truck more efficiently but I would like the option of some serious power

#2 ·
Without larger injectors you're never going to be pushing the horsepower limits of the truck with any chip.

Any TS type, six position chip will have a selection of power levels you can choose from. The PHP Hydra will give up to 17 I believe and you can mix and match tunes from your choice of programmers (vendors). Many companies provide custom programming and generic chips. I won't get into which is best as that's like asking what kind of beer is best.

#3 ·
Agree with Snowtow. From what I understand, about 40 horse more is the max with stock injectors. And it take a big old pile of money to get a 97 PSD to make what a new truck does stock. Funny and sad.
AaronSEIA

#4 ·
Also don't forget gauges is a must if you are adding a chip. Intake and exhaust are recommend also

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#6 ·
This is correct.

Normally +80HP is nearing the max for stock AA code (94-97) injectors. You can get close to +100HP with stock AB codes (Cali 97 and E99), and a little more than that with stock AD codes (L99-03).

To the OP... We can get you setup with a chip dialed in for how you use the truck. Check out our F5 chip... https://www.dp-tuner.com/ford-power...cks-1994-5-2003-1994-5-2004-gas-vehicles.html

Upgrading to a 3" downpipe will really help as well, if you have not already done so.

Let me know if you have any questions.

#8 ·
Mine was dyno'd many years ago with stock injectors and a Superchips 1705 tuner. The difference between the stock setting and the highest setting (I forget what they called it) was 52hp. Mods at that time were exhaust and intake only. A generic chip is going to bring better results than one of these tuners and a custom chip will be higher yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.