The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I keep looking for performance injector for later down the road and just want to make sure i understand the picture...

taking myself as exemple, 80% of the time the truck is not loaded or a mild load in the back. the other 20% is with a trailer but i rarely go over 10 000 #

I was thinking going with 180/80 or 180/100 but for what i can read the 160/30 is probably the best choise.....

for what i can understand, if I go with 180/80 or 180/100, I will get good power, fuel economy from the single shot but really high EGT and bye bye fuel economy when towing.... how will it be with a mild load in the back and top of the truck (ladder rack)

160/30 will give me a fuel economy from the single shot but how are they when towing? pretty sure the EGT will be lower than the 180/... but compare to stock? how is the fuel economy when towing and/or a mild load in the back of the truck.....

I do plan to get the KC38R before or at the same time of the injectors

any help/suggestion/recommendation will be appreciated

yannick

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Soo...you gotta look at it this way. 160cc is the capacity, and the 30% is the nozzle size. Your injector is only going to flow what the nozzle allows it to flow. In this case, 30% over nozzle will allow you to flow or spray 30% more fuel versus stock. We've done alot of 160/30 injectors with a 38r style turbo and guy's have been very pleased. I've see people run 80% nozzles on 180 conventional's or even on 238cc hybrids. Tuning can play a big factor, but it all depends on how much power you want to make and what you want the truck to be used for. The 80's can deliver a good amount of hp and can be manageable in the tuning. Personally, i'd look into a 238/80 hybrid injector with that turbo. Use less oil than conventional 180cc injectors, and you have enough room to dial it in and still capable of towing heavy loads. Depending on how healthy your hpop is, i'd suggest looking into an adrenaline or something similar. You don't really know if your stock pump will keep up with a larger injector unless you are running one. lol Oh, and on any injector upgrade, I HIGHLY recommend upgrading your fuel supply. R&R Return with dual stock sd pumps or a fuel lab. You'll want a good supply of fuel with those new injectors.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Go with 160/30. Good power increase, good mileage Increase depending on your foot. And they don't take a ton of upgrades.

You won't need a kc38r with those a plain 38r would work great and save you a couple hundred bucks.

Corey's fuel line kit and a healthy stock fuel pump are all you need.

Some guys are even able to still use a single stock pump with 175/80's. They have a fp gauge and watch fuel pressure to make sure the stock pump keeps up.

Strokin-7.3 on ps.org has dynoed at 450hp a few different tines with 160/30's. But he has all the supporting mods.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already plan to get the CNC 4 line kit. I was leaning a bit more on the KC38R because (if i remember) its 100$ over the GTP38R and its rebuild able. And yes more gauge will be ordered before the injector LOL

I don't really care on how much money I put into the truck (good thing the wife is not on this forum) but the price will just affect the time I take to get the parts.

Soo... if i understand, any injector will do the trick for DD to towing as long as the tuning is done right for DD or towing.... the choice of injector will only depend on how many HP I want....

what about MPG??? is 160 or 180 will have the same fuel economy on DD and towing or one will be better? same question about the nozzle size, is one will be better MPG than the other or will not affect?

really trying to understand and learn so sorry for alots of question LOL

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Typically 160's get better mileage.

They can detune hybrids to almost stock power though.

238's will require a lot more supporting mods. 160's require very little to be reliable

What hp lvl did you want?

The kc38r is a better turbo. But if you go with 160's you will probably want to run a .84 ex housing. The kc38r has a much bigger turbine wheel than the 38r is why.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would love to get crazy HP but is this wise for what i'm doing with the truck..... not sure. when i look on full force website, the 238's are for light to moderate towing and 160's for heavy towing. 160's might still be my best right now.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about the fuel economy between the 238's and the 160's ? is the 238's can be better in milage because they can be de tuned to almost stock?

what is the normal MPG gain people had going to the 160's or 238's? 2,3,4 mpg?

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
What about the fuel economy between the 238's and the 160's ? is the 238's can be better in milage because they can be de tuned to almost stock?

what is the normal MPG gain people had going to the 160's or 238's? 2,3,4 mpg?
I've heard guy's get mpg all across the board. Honestly, just like anything, it all depends on how much you have your foot into it. :lol:

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
What he said ^

Typically 160's get better mileage though.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'm running Swamps 175/146 (stock nozzle size) with Hydra in the 02 Excursion and overall quite pleased with the performance. Don't tow with it a lot but this Winter in -17 degree towed my 5,000 pound fish house in tow mode (swamps tunes) and got the worse mileage ever in a 7.3 (700,000+ miles). The tranny kept hunting so put it in drive and watched my fuel mileage drop to 5-6mpg. On the way back towed in stock setting and got about 12 mpg. Going to try gearhead custom tow tunes. As far as mileage it seems to be fairly close to stock (15-17mpg overall) with the injectors. Second worse mileage was towing the same trailer with an additional 2 thousand pound in 4wd in a blizzard with a 40mph head wind in the dually a couple Winters ago.

Reading up on aftermarket injectors it appears the bigger nozzle sizes adds more fuel higher in the RMP range. When the dually gets new injectors this year going to try PIS injectors either 160/30 or 175/80's and hydra with gearhead tunes. Truck already has AIS, Adrenaline, and no muffler.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks Cody, blue and 86GLHS.

look like my best bet will be the 160's for what i use the truck for. probably 30% nozzle.

Thanks for all

·
Registered
447 Posts
It depends a lot on the gearing you have and the rpm's that you run. Hp takes x amount of fuel at a certain rpm. You have to get the fuel injected at a certain amount of time in the power stroke of the piston. The higher the rpm's the less time you have to inject x amount of fuel to be efficient and control exhaust temp. South Dakota has 80 mph speed limits on the interstates and you turn a lot of rpm's at 85 mph pulling a big horse trailer that weighs 18,000# with 4.11 gears. That is where the 80% will be better than the 30% in mileage and exhaust temps. Hybrids will not atomize fuel as good as standards as long as you can keep up with the oil demand. Just remember that at the same HPOP pressure and at higher rpm's like 2,500 rpm it will take longer to inject x amount of fuel with the smaller nozzles so you will lose more heat energy out of the exhaust. But you have to look at the big picture with how you use the truck for most of its intended use. The intensifier piston needs to push against the resistance of the nozzle to atomize the fuel. Remember that as a daily driver you are only using a very small amount of usable hp going down the road.

Reactions: yan7gin

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
good info, i'll keep that in mind.

around here the max speed limit is 65 MPH but mostly 55. Lots of hill though.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The larger nozzle doesn't put more fuel in at higher rpm. It does however allow the fuel to be injected in the smaller injection window that is created by higher rpms.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that's what BS was saying, higher RPM = less time to inject the fuel witch larger nozzle = allowed more fuel in shorter time or shorter window.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts