The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I am looking into getting one of these two trucks

For the Peterbilt I am looking at a 379 or the 359.

For the Freightliner I looking at the Classic series.

How old is to old? ( I saw a 1976 Pete 359 for $7500)

How do these rigs hold up cosmetically and mechanically?

What kind of MPG can expect with these trucks with a 10spd?

thanks,
Andrew

· Registered
667 Posts
what are you planning on doing with it?

· Registered
284 Posts
Peterbilt hands down! I have head that some of the older Freightshakers fall apart. Peterbilt is the "Cadillac" of trucks. Whatever model Peterbilt you get, make sure you put some round lights on it.

Just my opinion.

Tobin

· Registered
1,643 Posts
[ QUOTE ]

Is their a tow capacity difference between the 359 and 379?

thanks,
Andrew

[/ QUOTE ]

There can be a capacity difference between one 379 and another 379. It is all in how they are setup. I would shy away from a 1976 anything. You may pick it up cheap but you will probably spend thousands to get it to pass a DOT inspection.

Pete's are nice but they will cost a little more. The styling is great though.

Arent you looking for a single axle? I personally would go with a 359 or the Freightliner because I think the cab of a 379 looks goofy with only one axle.

· Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love the look of the Peterbilt I seen some that are from the 90s under $20k. I would only go with a single axle if it reduces the turning radius by a substantial amount. Does it?

If it does then I will go with a single axle it will be a 359, Freightliner or possibly a volvo.

thanks,
Andrew

· Registered
223 Posts
I was just browsing around on ebay and I saw this. Look at this because it might actually work out better for you then any of the others you have found. International makes great class 8 rigs and this one has had a lot of work put into it recently. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-9300...1QQcmdZViewItem

· Registered
2,740 Posts
I suspect anything you buy of that age at that price is going to be worn out to the point where it needs more money than it's worth and that's the reason it's being sold. If you are only using it a couple time a year, fine, but if you are trying to make a living with it, I really think you need to keep digging- talk to owners without telling them you are intersted in buying one and ask them when and why they decide to dump them.

· Registered
1,761 Posts
Andrew, I use to sell Petes in Fontana, CA so I'm familiar w/ the trucks and the market down there.

FLs are lower quality trucks but that time (1976) period is before they became so poorly made.

But, like Clam said, ANY truck of that age is worn out and will cost $ to keep operating. 1000s in fact. The best truck of that age is the one that is in the best shape; brand or model doesn't matter in that price range.

If you only need a single rear axle go that route. It will save you fuel, tires, registration cost, etc. You can convert a tandem rear axle to a single rear axle for around 2K or less.

PS. I love an old 359.

· Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Sun

Dang wish you were still here, by a chance your not still selling Petes?

Does a single axle greatly reduce the turning radius?

thanks,
Andrew

· Registered
593 Posts
Andrew Im not trying to be mean or discourage you, to answer what your asking someone would have to write a book or two.
Trucks get between 4-8 mpg IME.

IMO an inexpensive "good" used big truck is a very rare thing to find.

Best short advice I can think of is, get the newest year model lowest mileage truck with the most complete verifiable service, maintenance and repair records you can find.
Get an engine, trans and rear end oil analysis, (before purchase) ask an independent party to explain the findings to you.

My preference would be Peterbilt, Mack, Kenworth, International in this order.

Pick up a copy of The truck paper truck paper at a local truck stop, deal with only reputable truck dealers.
Given a realistic price range I bet Suns or any other reputable truck dealer could find a good truck for you to start with. This would substantially lessen the chance of making a bad 1st time big truck buying decision.

Remember you can put a G-string on a pig, but it don't make her a dancin girl....R

· Registered
223 Posts
I can tell you right now that that the miles on that truck are not the miles from the computer. It is 1,298,415 million miles on it. I would stay away from it. Look at this one. If you look at this truck one thing that might help your descision with this truck is it has been hauling a 4 car trailer and 4 cars for who knows how long. Call this guy and ask him about it. The reason I mention that is because this is a class 8 rig and I have seen dually pickups pulling this exact trailer before. This means that it is a lot less wear and tear on the truck since it hauls just a small fraction of what it was ment for. check this one out. It is a little older but looks to be in good condition and you get the trailer with it. I would talk to this guy and see what he has to say about it. It also looks like it has a super 10 in it which would make it really easy for you to learn how to drive one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-Inte...1QQcmdZViewItem

· Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks Ryan for the link that is a nice looking truck. I was looking at internationals yesterday and must have missed this one. Thats a good point that it has had less wear then other class 8 rigs due to the lighter load. The problem is I wont have the money until the end of July /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif I will see how much he wants for it.

Whats with the string across the front that goes to the trailer?

thanks,
Andrew

· Banned
2,774 Posts
When you are talking that old, anything and everything is junk.
You'll be spending more time on repairing old and rusted up parts.
When it comes to brands that old, a Pete's door is just as probable to drop to the ground as the Freightliner.

Look for something newer that you can afford.

· Registered
1,761 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Sun

Dang wish you were still here, by a chance your not still selling Petes?

Does a single axle greatly reduce the turning radius?

thanks,
Andrew

[/ QUOTE ]

I sell new Kenworth Vocational trucks to mostly small/ medium sized fleets now. I specialize in Heavy Haul and dumps. Pete makes a fantastic OTR tractor but they don't have a proper vocational truck so I switched to a brand more suited to my skill set.

If all else is equal (same steer axle, same model of truck, same adjustment on stops, same distance from steer axle to forward drive axle, etc...) then the difference should be slight. The WB of the tandem axle truck would effectively be 26" longer (assuming a 54" axle spread) only slightly increasing turning radius.

Andrew, all trucks are "speced" different. They are not mass produced in just a few basic specs like our pickups are so the varieties are endless. Even which 13,200# front axle you choose can effect how the truck turns.

· Registered
447 Posts
Pete is the way to go but anything else that was mentioned is good for what your pulling.Now from a diesel mechanic to you,do not just go out and buy used truck because it looks good and runs good.Do yourself a big favor and have a mechanic go over the truck.You dont want to get something that is going to need a complete brake job, clutch,etc. I could go on forever with the list,just be smart and have it looked over.
Single axle is going to have a better turing radius unles the front axle is not set back.

Good luck on the truck hunt and becarefull thats alot of weight your dealing with.

Oh no injector changes on the rig,raw fuel shooting out the stack will make a real mess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif just kidding with you Andrew

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.