The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all thanks for checking this post. I need to replace the clutch and TO bearing and really need a pilot bearing. I have all the parts but since I don't have great history on maintenance for this truck (1992 F350 Crew 7.5 IDI 5-speed) I want to check which way the bearing goes in the flywheel. The old destroyed one was pressed in from the clutch side and I can't find any instruction it thats right or if the old one was installed wrong and the bearing really needs to go in from the engine side of the flywheel. Or maybe its either way?

Thanks for filling me in!

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey all thanks for checking this post. I need to replace the clutch and TO bearing and really need a pilot bearing. I have all the parts but since I don't have great history on maintenance for this truck (1992 F350 Crew 7.5 IDI 5-speed) I want to check which way the bearing goes in the flywheel. The old destroyed one was pressed in from the clutch side and I can't find any instruction it thats right or if the old one was installed wrong and the bearing really needs to go in from the engine side of the flywheel. Or maybe its either way?

Thanks for filling me in!

I just did mine and out it in from the clutch side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just did mine and out it in from the clutch side.

Thanks, that's the same way my destroyed bearing was installed. Was that the way the old one was installed too or did you see some reference in a manual or clutch kit that guided you?

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Isn't the pilot bushing/bearing installed on the crankshaft?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't the pilot bushing/bearing installed on the crankshaft?
Its actually installed in the flywheel on the manual trans 7.3 IDI. Thats where its different because usually its in the back end of the crankshaft and the installation direction is clear one the bearing can go in. I can see the bearing can be pressed into the flywheel either from the clutch side or from the engine side. I couldn't find anything online or in my manuals about which way.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Haven't had the pleasure of doing a clutch on an IDI, thanks I'll have to remember that.
If it can go in either end, then I would think the only critical thing is how deep. I looked but didn't find anything on a quick search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't had the pleasure of doing a clutch on an IDI, thanks I'll have to remember that.
If it can go in either end, then I would think the only critical thing is how deep. I looked but didn't find anything on a quick search.
Thankfully the bearing has a flange on one side to limit how far its pressed in. That was a good feature

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine came with instructions that told me to do it that way.

Thank you so much. That pretty much confirms it for me. The old destroyed bearing in my truck was in the right way around. Thanks again! Now I will get the truck back together over the weekend.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I don't know if I'd call that a pleasure. Those things are heavy, and the older I get, the heavier they seem to get. It has been awhile, but I think the snap ring around the bearing goes to the transmission.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts