The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took the whole truck apart over the past few days for headgaskets. Started cleaning my block up and realized that my #8 cylinder is chewed up on the top. Cylinder walls have NO damage at all. Could anyone give me some advice on this. Replace or would it be okay to run as is. Here is the video.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Whad did the head look like. If the cylinder looks ok then just replace the piston on the connecting rod and put it back together. If the head has bad spots in it then it needs to be machined or replaced. Head has to be smooth other wise it will develop hot spots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whad did the head look like. If the cylinder looks ok then just replace the piston on the connecting rod and put it back together. If the head has bad spots in it then it needs to be machined or replaced. Head has to be smooth other wise it will develop hot spots.
Thanks for replying I am putting new heads on it but that head was not damaged at all for some reason. This had to have happened over the 16 years of its life it’s weird lol

·
Registered
533 Posts
That is weird. Never seen that kind of damage on a piston and not on anything else. Did you buy this truck new? If not I wonder if previous owner had a issue and decided not to replace the piston. Good luck with the build.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is weird. Never seen that kind of damage on a piston and not on anything else. Did you buy this truck new? If not I wonder if previous owner had a issue and decided not to replace the piston. Good luck with the build.
Did not buy it new and I am wondering the same thing. He said they did something to it but didn’t know apparently. The recent owner did. I haven’t been able to find anything with this kind of damage it’s weird because nothing else is damaged which makes no sense. I’ll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Amazing they didn't fix it. I guess they felt that is wasn't going to be a problem. I would just replace the piston on the rod and not the rod and piston. That way you can use the same rod bearing. You may be able to use the same piston rings. Just be careful not to brake them. They may be brittle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts