The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a early 99 7.3 and I was talking to someone on here who seems to be very knowledgeable about it and I just wanted a few different ideas.. so my truck was blowing a lot of blue smoke and misfiring. But sometimes it was intermittent. For example I got on it last week and when I put it in park it wasn't smoking no miss. When I fired it back up it was doing it all over again. So I got a buddies scan tool and it was cylinder #5 down (contribution test). So I went ahead and replaced it. But still no luck. So I ripped off the vc and dropped each injector on the right bank. All but #5 made a difference. The only thing that happened was the smoke stopped? I changed it again last night and it still smoked. So I cursed and sweared and left it. Now today I plugged it in and let it idle for about 45 minutes. And wasn't smoking nearly as bad! Plus is 10 degrees colder here (Celsius) I was wondering is it a broken ring? It does have a chugging blow by. I couldn't tap the mallet on the injector very hard because the things too bulky with the cowl in the way! Could it not be seated properly? I'm really hoping it didn't blow a ring!!

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
So you put in a new injector or no?

How old is the uvch? It might need to be changed.

·
Premium Member
2,197 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
I rarely see broken rings in diesels. I do see stuck rings from over fueling usually caused by on an engine( first gen diesel) that puts the injector pump in the smoke set position in the pump and it has something going on like it doesn't crank fast trying to start p. It's over fueling, burning diesel partially. This goes on long enough, the soot builds up in the compression groove ring. This binds up the ring sticking it. It no longer expands against the cylinder wall.
A Powerstroke with a loose injector, lifted cup can smoke and miss like a white smoke breathing beast but put it up on the highway it can smooth out and smoke go away.
If you have swapped injectors and stuff, you need to do a cranking and running dynamic test. You need to make sure injector has been seating. Are you seeing soot on cone nozzle of injector when they come out.
Don't be hitting the top of injectors. It's not good, I don't care about a rubber mallet or how many videos are out there showing flat rate mechanics doing something they should not or someone who knows better.
OTC made the correct removal and installation tool to help prevent false torque readings, and not hitting that coil. If you choose not to use it, use the mallets handle to push down on retaining plate while you lean in the mallet head. If it's seated you will hear the thud.

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
I need to make an addendum to my previous post.
If the truck has good compression and gets a good dose of ether or sustained injections of gasoline it can tear up and break other things.
The symptoms however will become self evident pretty much immediately preceding that event and I didn't bring this up because your talk of intermitant ant and not bring up ether or gasoline.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure on age of uvch I'm gonna change it out tomorrow , I did do cylinder number 5 again and the smoke isn't nearly as bad. Still missing a bit. I figured there was a chance te uvch is bad causing the injector to hang open? Who knows? And yeah it was oily soot kinda when I removed it. It was under the last oring before the nozzle...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't used ether on this truck before, sadly I can't speak for the previous owners , same with gasoline.. my dad's a truck driver so I know how much damage can be done by it!

·
Premium Member
7,934 Posts
Sounds like your problem without seeing it. If the put one in and the cone nozzle right below that oring down to copper washer( was there one there?) went in clean and came out black soot coated, you have a sealing problem. This can be a non seating issue from false torque readings( not seating injector completly before torquing, stretched injector bolts. Bolts bottoming out in pooled up on in the there holes on installation, cups not seated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will remove it and re install tomorrow night .. copper washer was on the injector I made sure. How do I properly seat because how I saw seemed to be the wrong way ahhahah

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm gonna see if he local ih or ford has an uvch. Still doesn't explain the chugging when you take off the oil cap though?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts