The Diesel Stop banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Better cheaper and easier to filter. I truly admire these folks for their energy and ingenuity. It amazes me what people will think of and do.

I admire them too but through their ignorance or lack of common sense and caring they quite often create a serious hazard for neighbors and families in their area. It amazes me what the human mind is capable of coming up with. The guys on this forum are a group of truly ingenious individuals. I salute you all. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Here's a bit of humour for you guys,
I can Imagine the EPA or OSHA "stringing you up" if you tried to do this at home.

This was a tire pyrolysis plant in the middle of nowhere in Guangxi, China [ it would've been easier to find a still in the Ozarks ]
I apologise for the poor quality photos, the owner was really anti foreigners visiting his operation and he forbid me from taking any photos.

Basically the 2 machines were like giant "front loading" tumble clothes driers, Workers had to stack tires inside [ by hand ] then it was fired up on LPG burners and had electric motors to rotate it.[ they had diesel generators running from the oil they produced ]
Once it got up to 350c + the gases were piped off it through a trough of cool water then to a collection tank. All the uncondensable gases were then pumped off the collection tank and fed to the burners [ the LPG was switched off ]

After about 8 hours of tumbling and distilling the machine was switched off and cooled down to about 80-100c, Then some Chinese labourers wearing safety bandanas [ they looked like Mexican Bandits ] went inside the machine with wheelbarrows and shovels and remove all the "steel" and "carbon black"

There was no ventilation or safety equipment for the workers [ except for the bandana breathing aparatus ] and the heat was unbearable.
Each machine would produce approx 16 metric tons of oil per day and about 8 tons of carbon black which they sold.

So if anybody is thinking about building their own refinery, you don't need much technology or permission to do it [ in fact it would be easier to acheive without consent ]

..............Just don't do it in my neighbourhood [ or country ]

Attachments

·
Banned
795 Posts
kerrynzl, that tire pyrolysis plant is classic Road Warriors.

·
Registered
193 Posts
What was the downside to this type of operation kerrynzl?

André

The biggest downside is probably the risk of getting caught
There were other secondary issues that shouldn't worry the average "risk taker"........................... like the piping of the fumes straight from the top of the oil storage tank to the burners without any shutoff valves [ or 1 way check valves ]
I suppose not wearing any safety gear would make "running for your life" easier if there was any flashback from the burners.

There was some innovative technology though
Like the uncondensable gases bubbling up from the bottom of the storage tank, this prevented air getting sucked back down the lines converting pyrolysis into combustion [ in laymans terms............"Kaboom!!" ]

In China this sort of Operation is quite illegal because of their environmental issues, but because of their "bureaucratic efficiency" [ called corruption ] a simple planning Fee on a regular basis can usually circumvent these problems

Cheers Kerry

·
Registered
1 Posts
I havnt read your later posts but if you are still interested in refining wmo take a look at the unit I have running in my shed.Ignor the pellet burner as the heat source, it now runs on 2.5kw heating element and produces about 2lt/hr of diesel and other fractions kero and petrol(gas).
This unit is pretty safe in that the furnace end is open ended which removes the risk of explosion even though it runs a 450 to 500deg c.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I havnt read your later posts but if you are still interested in refining wmo take a look at the unit I have running in my shed.Ignor the pellet burner as the heat source, it now runs on 2.5kw heating element and produces about 2lt/hr of diesel and other fractions kero and petrol(gas).
This unit is pretty safe in that the furnace end is open ended which removes the risk of explosion even though it runs a 450 to 500deg c.
DIESEL FROM WASTE OIL - BIOCHAR MAKER - YouTube
If your willing start a new thread & further explain how your setup works. I would love to learn more about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good day :) I wonder if you can re post the video and have any more expertise to share from the intervening years ? :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
good Day , so 9 years later how did you go ? :) I am just about to try building one myself - black diesel not working for me in some IDI engines [swirl chamber passage coking up ]

21 - 31 of 31 Posts