The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm VERY new when it comes to diesels, gas engines, not a prob. A dear friend has me working on her 94 f350 7.3 turbo diesel. Not a powerstroke. It had set for 2+ years with both tanks at least 3/4 full. She said it ran when her late husband parked it. I've drained, dropped and cleaned both tanks and I've cleaned what lines I could up top and replaced the ones I couldn't. 2 brand new batteries and fresh fuel and new fuel filter. Problem now is it'll crank, but it doesn't even sound like it wants to fire.
And when I turn the key over to on the "glow plug control module????" clicks rather loudly for about 30 secs and then stops. So could that be a reason? The 2nd pic is the part I'm talking about. If that's not its name can someone please let me know what it is?
I know theres alot of different things it could be so thank you in advance for any help you can give

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
There is a connector for the wires to top cover of injection pump that go to the shutoff solenoid. WIth ignition you should be able to hear an audible click and thump when the solenoid moves. If so then that is not the problem. If it is below 40F it may not try to run but I would expect the delivered fuel to give white smoke from tailpipe after it is cranked over for 20 seconds or so. You can use a gaasoline soaked rag held in front of turbo inlet to give gasoline vapor while it is cranked. That is less severe than ether. Do not be in front of the turbo inlet in case of backfire. It won't backfire for no reason doing this but if there is a sticking valve or hanging tappet then the backfire could ignite the gasoline. If the engine starts with gasoline huffing then the glow plugs could be the issue or if it is cold enough, compression could be low. The glow plugs are a tick over 1 ohm cold and if you ohm the wire going to all of them still connected you will get .2-.3 ohm subtracting the reading you get when you touch leads to each other. The solenoid you pistured has a 12V lead and the other on the 5/16" stud goes the whole set of glow plugs. You find which has 12V and ohm meter probe the other for the glow plug reading with ignition off and a few minutes since last glow plug on cycle to allow cooling.

·
Premium Member
15,209 Posts
I had a friend with a diesel pusher that wouldn’t start. His mechanic told him it was bad fuel. He asked me if I wanted it, so I pumped 150 gallons out of his tank. He filled it with fresh fuel and it still wouldn’t start. Turned out to be a bad lift pump. That old fuel burned just fine in my truck. Make sure you are getting fuel to the injection pump and then crack a line at the injectors until you see fuel weeping at the connector. Tighten them up and start it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
The above glow plug advise is right except, let the truck sit overnight to get a good reading with the ohmmeter. Once they've warmed up, the ohm reading won't be quite the same. You'll still have a good idea though. one thing I would add, is to check voltage at the hot side of the glow plug relay both with no load, and under a load, there is a fusible link that can fail and not show any sign of failure until it is under a load. It is located right off of the relay on the fender well and runs directly to the glow plug relay that you have pictured.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts