The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody, I have a 2003 ford f 250 super duty, 4x4
The thing is, I had the oil pan changed yesterday, before I took it there it would shift perfect every time I used it, for years, " NOW " I put it in D and it goes but then it starts shifting up and down and sometime it feels like it is in N cause the tack will jump way up as if I am in N racing the engine, then it goes back in gear and drive, like it don`t want to shift, they had to jack up the engine about two inches to get the old pan out and new one in, ,
I am pretty old and on S/S so not able to do to much but was just not able to understand what jacking up the engine could hurt, I checked the lines for a pinch, and checked the wire to the trans, I am lost, just hope someone has ran in to this over time Thank You all for your time, Have A Wonderful Day.

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
THe first thing to do is to check the trans fluid level. Check it with the transmission in park and the engine idling.

It should have some codes stored that will tell the story. The places that read codes free CANNOT read these codes. Forscan can read them, or a good independent shop, or a Ford dealer.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Don't ignore the code advice. ForScan Lite is a cheap download to a smartphone.

The adapter is $35 or so (WiFi for iOS and BlueTooth for Android). I like the BAFX brand of OBDII adapter.

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Buckhunter, as Mark pointed out ForScan and an OBD2 adapter is a window into diagnosis this truck as good as the tools that cost hundreds to thousands of dollars. And with a cell phone, it's always there allowing you to monitor all the critical areas in real-time, all the time. I use it anytime I am in one of our Ford vehicles.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I am curious as to whether or not you have contacted the shop that JUST WORKED ON THE TRUCK? That would have been my first step as they likely disturbed or broke something in the process. It happens.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am curious as to whether or not you have contacted the shop that JUST WORKED ON THE TRUCK? That would have been my first step as they likely disturbed or broke something in the process. It happens.
I did first thing, they said as far as they know they did not do anything to hurt the trans, and said they don`t know if it was bad when I dropped it off. and there is no way I can prove they did something.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buckhunter, as Mark pointed out ForScan and an OBD2 adapter is a window into diagnosis this truck as good as the tools that cost hundreds to thousands of dollars. And with a cell phone, it's always there allowing you to monitor all the critical areas in real-time, all the time. I use it anytime I am in one of our Ford vehicles.
Thank you, one trouble with that is, as I said I am a old man and I " Still Have A Flip Phone " LOL no I really do, I am 72 and don`t understand them new phones.
Thanks for your time, I guess I will have to take it to a trans shop Monday, no telling what they wil charge. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Thank you, one trouble with that is, as I said I am a old man and I " Still Have A Flip Phone " LOL no I really do, I am 72 and don`t understand them new phones.
Thanks for your time, I guess I will have to take it to a trans shop Monday, no telling what they wil charge. Thanks again.

The shop that did the oil pan repair should be OBLIGED to (at the very least) look at the truck to see if something went wrong with their repair. I know my dealership and I certainly would not think twice about it.

·
Registered
339 Posts

You've obviously got a computer or access to one. I know the nerds use their phones but I run Forscan on my laptop.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You've obviously got a computer or access to one. I know the nerds use their phones but I run Forscan on my laptop.
Yes I have a computer, so am I right thinking your saying I just go to Forcan,com
and it will tell me what to do, OK I will try it now, Thank You.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I did first thing, they said as far as they know they did not do anything to hurt the trans, and said they don`t know if it was bad when I dropped it off. and there is no way I can prove they did something.
I would be posting bad feedback on them all over the forums and social media if they won't even take a look at it. It had only been a day since they did the work! If the lines were bent before they worked on it, they should have noticed that ...... if in fact they disconnected them to do the job. How do they even know how to respond if they don't look at it. Pretty bad service IMO. Sometimes you have to demand to have some things done.

·
Premium Member
14,604 Posts
If you wanted to post your location, someone with a scanner might be close enough to pull the codes for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes I have a computer, so am I right thinking your saying I just go to Forcan,com
and it will tell me what to do, OK I will try it now, Thank You.

https://forscan.org/home.html

Forscan.ORG but yep, its that simple. You'll need some kind of an adapter to connect to your OBD port. If you check the forscan forum (accessible from their home page) there's a section devoted to adapters. I use a wired ELM clone that plugs into the OBD port and a USB port but there's Bluetooth solutions as well if your computer has Bluetooth.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Don't ignore the code advice. ForScan Lite is a cheap download to a smartphone.

The adapter is $35 or so (WiFi for iOS and BlueTooth for Android). I like the BAFX brand of OBDII adapter.
Mark,

Can you run a Buzz test from the Forscan lite smart phone app with the OBDII connector?

I've got AutoEnginuity on my laptop and I like it a lot but I figured it would be nice to have something smaller/more mobile to take on road trips.

I've already downloaded Forscan lite and purchased the BAFX OBDII adapter. I just loaded some PID's and it seems like a robust app but I just can't see where you can run the buzz test.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I don't recall dillon. I wish my memory were better, lol. I can go check mine a little later today.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A possible source of the problem could be related to the shift module on the transmission... could have been bumped/damaged while oil pan was repaired. Not hard or very expensive to replace other than getting under the vehicle. I had to replace mine at around 200k miles due to shifting position variations. There is a mechanical link to shifter and an electronic connection too. Could just be a connection issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
A possible source of the problem could be related to the shift module on the transmission...
Shift module? I'm not familiar with that part, and I thought I knew all of them. Do you mean the transmission range sensor (TRS?)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Want to Thank all for the help

I tryed many of what I was told it could be, did not work, so I had to take it to a shop, as a matter of fact I want to two of the to be safe, both said the same thing, said it needed a rebuild, one was a US wide shop, AMMICO , anyway I had to have it done, cost 4,774,69, a lot of money but at 73 it should last the rest of my day, lol ahain, Thank All Of You So Very Much, God Bless One And All. Buckhunter

1 - 20 of 24 Posts