The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I've been experiencing an intermittent NO START condition on my truck. It's a 2002 7.3 diesel, manual transmission, stock tuning. 377,000-ish miles.

At first, I thought it was the CPS. I changed that, then the condition happened again. I read a bunch of past threads, and then I replaced the Injector driver module relay in position #303 in the fusebox. But again, it left me stranded last night. This has happened after I had been sitting in the pickup with the key in the "1. ACCESSORY" position for a while.

The batteries and starter are on point. I'm running DieHard Platinums with the BIG Denso starter. When it turns over it sounds like my wife's Honda. I've checked for oil leaks around the ICP sensor, IPR valve, and the HPOP and lines, and found none. Also checked to make sure the ICP sensor connected was clean and had no oil in it.

I don't know where to turn now. My Auto Engenuity doesn't run anymore because the operating system on the computer is too outdated, and I have NOT upgraded to the new wifi model. So basically I'm throwing parts at it.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Likely you meant to write "intermetent", which is an event without regularity. Usually there is some regularity of events that seem intermetent. Running and stops running on its own. Shut down won't restart every time and a couple of things that seem intermetent but usually actually are not. Can you elaborate more on the timing and circumstances of your no start?

·
Administrator
27,293 Posts
@Oneof6 If you're going to correct someone's spelling (we knew what he meant), you should actually spell it correctly. ;)
Intermittent: Something that happens occasionally, or randomly.
But you're correct in that there's likely a pattern of events that causes the no-start.

@txgp17 If you're sitting with the key in accessory position for a while and it causes the no-start, I would look at electrical connections at the batteries, up to the fuse box. It's possible that it's a voltage problem.
When you say no-start, was it cranking normally? Did you also hear clicking from relays? That would point to low voltage to the fuse box. The PCM needs at least 9V when cranking to work. You might check with a voltmeter at the cigarette lighter when cranking to see what the voltage to the fuse box is.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
@Oneof6 If you're going to correct someone's spelling (we knew what he meant), you should actually spell it correctly. ;)
Intermittent: Something that happens occasionally, or randomly.
But you're correct in that there's likely a pattern of events that causes the no-start.

@txgp17 If you're sitting with the key in accessory position for a while and it causes the no-start, I would look at electrical connections at the batteries, up to the fuse box. It's possible that it's a voltage problem.
When you say no-start, was it cranking normally? Did you also hear clicking from relays? That would point to low voltage to the fuse box. The PCM needs at least 9V when cranking to work. You might check with a voltmeter at the cigarette lighter when cranking to see what the voltage to the fuse box is.
I was not directly correcting spelling, only pointing out that very few events are " intermittent ". I get that perspective of others often when there is a industrial power, performance or system issue that seems irregular or " intermittent ". Linear problems are easier for most even when that line is Roller Coaster shaped from a distance. It's the light switch scenario, seems " intermittent " but some pattern of action by someone, or something, is in play, always.
I used to, decades ago, pour over email, memos and directives spending way to much time on crafting every word for pedantic perfection. I learned to channel my OCD pedantic sense of order and communicate with a few flaws.

·
Administrator
27,293 Posts
I used to, decades ago, pour over email, memos and directives spending way to much time on crafting every word for pedantic perfection. I learned to channel my OCD pedantic sense of order and communicate with a few flaws.
So you're trying to trigger those of us who haven't channeled our OCD tendencies, eh? :ROFLMAO:
I guess it worked. ;)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I turn the key, it turns over like a champ, The engine turns over very fast. I haven't yet put a voltmeter on it, guess I'll have to keep one in the truck for the next time that happens.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's possible that it's a voltage problem. When you say no-start, was it cranking normally? Did you also hear clicking from relays? That would point to low voltage to the fuse box. The PCM needs at least 9V when cranking to work. You might check with a voltmeter at the cigarette lighter when cranking to see what the voltage to the fuse box is.
There are no clicking sounds of any type. When it doesn't start, I turn the key, and the starter spins the motor just as fast and reliable as it ever has, but there's just no fuel being injected, otherwise, I'd at least see some white smoke out the tail pipe.

So today I ran some errands in the morning, and when I got home I let it sit in the driveway for 6 hours with the key in the "1. ACCESSORY" position with the radio and GPS on, along with a Bluetooth device. After 6 hours I got in, turned the ignition on, waited for the glow plug light to go out, and start it. It cranked well and fired right up. No problems. I turned it off and repeated it, and again it started, with no problems, no hesitation. I've got a FoMoCo Auxilarry Idle Control Module on mine, I put it in the voltage display mode and started it a third time, the voltage dropped to 10.5 volts while cranking.

The first time it did this to me, about two weeks ago, it also suddenly died while driving home, but only for a second. I was on a flat paved road, driving straight, with no excessive bumps or anything, and it suddenly dies for about 1 second, then came right back to life. I've got a manual transmission, so it felt like I'd pulled my foot off the pedal very fast, and then got back on it. It's only exhibited that symptom once.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts