The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so which one is it?

DP Tuner chip with Jodis codes (picking 6 positions for $500).

OR....

The significantly cheaper (but same 6 positions) chip from DieselManor ($390).

Need help, on the fence here and need to decide by tomorrow evening!

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
If those were my only two choices it'd be Jody's.

·
Registered
564 Posts
some people have different driving styles during different situations which requires more positions

i know nothing of diesel manor chips which would make up my mind right away for dp-tuner

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Well I can tell you that there is no need for a 40 or 60 hp setting unless you intend on pulling anything. Also, there is no need for a setting between your daily setting (70-80hp) and your hottest setting. Because If you are gonna turn it up past daily, then you will only need your highest level. I NEVER touch my 40 or 100 hp settings.

·
Registered
376 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Well I can tell you that there is no need for a 40 or 60 hp setting unless you intend on pulling anything. Also, there is no need for a setting between your daily setting (70-80hp) and your hottest setting. Because If you are gonna turn it up past daily, then you will only need your highest level. I NEVER touch my 40 or 100 hp settings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. I even pull in the 80econo

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Agreed, I downsized my 6 position to a 4 positon. Tow, daily, race, and drag. And I do use all 4 of my settings for those different occasions when I need it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
In going to throw out a few more options to look into. Look into David at DI, Tony Wildman, or Cale at BTS, or even TS. Call around and talk to those guys about what you want to get out of a chip. Then choose the the tuner that you feel most comfortable with, not just what everyone else is comfortable with.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Guys, I think he's refering to a 6 position TS chip that DieselManor has for $389. I personally use and like Jody's chip. I have 7 positions. It's not that I need every tune but more of a I have them in case I do. I'm actually going to add a few more. And DieselManor is a good vendor.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[ QUOTE ]
Guys, I think he's refering to a 6 position TS chip that DieselManor has for $389.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one, seems similar to what Jodi offers...but a bit cheaper.

As far as the six positions...four are all that really are for performance/economy...I find the anti-theft option and the high idle option interesting.

Thanks for all the clues to other vendors also, will check them out; input helps a man spend $$$ more comfortably!

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
From my experience. The out of the box "one size fits all" chips may not be your best bet. I have had my Performance chip for a while now. The chip makes great power, it also caused some MAJOR trans issues and damage. Some of it my fault, and some NOT my fault!

Having the ability to get the actual tuner on the phone and describe what your mods are, which mod direction you are headed in the future, and what you ultimately do with the truck on a day to day basis is priceless. Consider your choices carefully.

I have rode in quite a few out of the box chipped/tuner trucks, and just as many custom tuned trucks. The diff is night and day.

Lastly, don't let anybody talk you out of buying extra programs if you don't mind spending the money. I would have 2 dozen programs to play with if I had money to do so. Ever had too many toys in your toy box? I sure haven't.

BTW, I love the high idle option. I use it often. Helps tremendously when giving a jump start to another vehicle.

·
Registered
491 Posts
There is no comparision between out of box chip/programmer and DP,
I told jody what I wanted, added a BTS VB and off I went. I had
the SCMT which made good power but was VERY hard on the tranny,
When I put DP tunes in with the BTS VB the issues with the tranny
was over, I can not believe how smooth and crisp my truck shifts
now. I like running in the 60 tow setting better than the 80 econo,
Its not so touchy in traffic, and yes there is a big difference
between 60 tow and 80 econo.
Just my $.01
Go with DP and enjoy you will never look back.
You can always send it back for more tunes.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif

·
Registered
13,890 Posts
Hey KEV [ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the clues to other vendors also, will check them out; input helps a man spend $$$ more comfortably!

[/ QUOTE ] We can help ya spend that money!!!

What do you do at MOODY? I am Avionics Flightline in the Air guard here in St. Louis. 131st FW. Soon to be the 131st BOMBER wing! Thanks to that [email protected]@[email protected]E RUMSFELD,,,Shoulda resigned a couple years ago!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[ QUOTE ]
Hey KEV [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] We can help ya spend that money!!!

What do you do at MOODY? I am Avionics Flightline in the Air guard here in St. Louis. 131st FW. Soon to be the 131st BOMBER wing! Thanks to that [email protected]@[email protected] RUMSFELD,,,Shoulda resigned a couple years ago!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure you can...I think this thread is counter-productive to my decision making process...which isn't necessarily a bad thing I suppose. Starting to think programmer instead...

I WAS C130 Engine Mech at Moody...need to change my profile...still live here but the AF put me on scholarship to finish school. Now that's all I do for a living.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Dont get a programmer. The tunes just do not come close. Get one from DP and be done with it. You wont regret it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
[ QUOTE ]
Dont get a programmer. The tunes just do not come close. Get one from DP and be done with it. You wont regret it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok...well with this and a lot of other feedback/arguments/debates, etc...I went to the DP-Tuner site and started the ordering process. Just need to get out there and pull the PCM code off the sticker and I'll be in there like swimwear.

Anybody had any experience with mounting the gauge kit from dieselmanor up on the windshield? Or something similar? I would like that over the a-pillar but don't want to deal with a big hassle when it comes to the headliner.

Thanks as always for assisting with spending my money!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts