The Diesel Stop banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my 99 ford 7.3 powerstroke when starting. It rolls over more than normal before firing up.I have top of the line Wall mart batteries in it (850 cold cranking amps) which are now five yrs old.I did a load test after charging the batteries and unhooking them and tested each one separately using a Harbour Freight tester.They both show in the green.After waiting about 3hrs, checked the batteries with volt meter they still read almost the same.But when i put the battery charger on them and turn the charger to boost the truck fires right up, this makes me believe there is a battery problem,I did leave them unhooked for a day and half but do not read much different from each other.The post have been cleaned also, first thing i did.Any suggestions. Thanks

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
If I'm reading that right, when you have both batteries and the charger connected to the truck, the truck starts without an issue.

Could be the starter itself going bad. It may be drawing a lot of current, so when you try to start with just the batteries, it struggles, but with the added current from the charger, it works fine.

·
Premium Member
14,492 Posts
5 year old batteries in a PowerStroke is pretty much used up. I doubt your Harbor Freight load tester is applying the kind of load the glow plugs and starter do. I usually get 2 1/2 years out of a set of batteries before they start slowing down. After that, I can use them on a gas motor for another 5 years without a problem. They just don't have the umph to spin the diesel. I would imagine a fresh set of batteries would be the cure for you.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Or that . . .

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, i will probably shop for new batteries,but will test the starter to see how much it is drawing.Any suggestions on battery brand?someone suggested to go back to Ford brand.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Most batteries are rebranded by a handful of manufacturers. Johnson Controls makes a good battery. Costco sells these, and stands behind their warranty.

I personally have had good results with interstate and Deka as well.

Cost is a factor,however go for the highest CCA [cold cranking amps] and RC [reserve capacity] that you can find for the group size for the powerstroke. The plate architecture will be typically better in a higher end battery, ie; more plates to a point is better given that there is more surface area for the acid interaction and amperage production. This is critical for diesel starting applications.

Replace them in pairs with the same type and manufacturer battery for best results.

Good Luck

Coolhand

1 - 6 of 6 Posts