The Diesel Stop banner

Portable jump starter

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SikFish 
#1 ·
So i was looking to buy one of those portable jump starters for my Outback and figured i would buy one that will jump all my vehicles. Will the portable capacitor jump starters start a 7.3L? If so how many rated amps needed?
thanks

#2 · (Edited)
A 7.3L in good shape will start with one battery, so your portable unit should add enough power to do the job.

Since you have a 6-speed, as long as you have 10V, you can push start it. Having the manual saved my butt when my starter crapped out on a trip. Starter wouldn't engage the flywheel, even if I jumpered the solenoid, so we needed to push start it twice. I'd have been SOL and would have had to call "the hook" with an auto tranny.

#4 ·
Now that would be a trick, push starting a battleship, lol
I will be buying one, just want to get a jump starter that has enough power to start all my vehicles. Anyone know?

#7 ·
Now that would be a trick, push starting a battleship, lol
I hear you. :grin2: Fortunately, this was the bare pickup, not with the camper on it. I will admit, it was warm, and there was a slight downgrade to help the two times I needed to do that.

#3 ·
You can start these trucks on one battery but if it is cold out or if your batteries are dead dead then the odds of that portable jump starter having the amps to run the glow plugs and start the truck are very slim. Now on a warm engine or in a area where it is warm enough to not really need the glow plugs then it just might do the job.

This question was asked a number of years ago and a member came up with a battery booster that will start one of these truck after a nice cold soak. But if I remember right the cost of it was quite high.

#5 ·
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015TKSSB8?aaxitk=uU90Q6EMblBEDMTCiarrCQ&pd_rd_i=B015TKSSB8&pf_rd_p=3fade48a-e699-4c96-bf08-bb772ac0e242&hsa_cr_id=6839412400101&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=NOCO%20Boost%20Pro%20GB150%204000%20Amp%2012V%20UltraSafe%20Lithium%20Jump%20Starter%20for%20up%20to%2010L%20Gasoline%20and%20Diesel%20Engines&sb-ci-a=B015TKSSB8[/ame]

Here's one that claims to be able to start a diesel engine up to 10 liters.

#8 ·
#6 ·
4,000 amps. 80 starts on a single charge. Wow. Someone do the math on what the cable diameter would need to be to flow 4000 amps. That lithium battery must be something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.