The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all new to the group. I have a 1999 F-250 2wd, I bought it about a month ago it has 250k on in the tranny was replaced a year ago I was told. Has no codes drives and shifts great, but after it shifts into od and let up on pedal it will stumble when I get back on it, unless I floor it or the od button off is on. To me it acts like a old carb engine that has a bad acelurator pump. Any ideas guys?? thanks for your time

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm havin similar problems, I'll let you know what I figure out on mine.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
If there's no SES light or flashing OD light that comes on, you'll need a scan tool to read whats goin on within the trucks engine, sensors, computers and trans.
Is your torque converter unlocking when you let up on the accelerator and then its locking up again once you get accel ??
If you think it fuel pressure related you'll need to monitor that with a pressure gauge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would fuel pressure cause that problem? I haven't heard that honestly, but I'll look into that as an avenue of approach.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for that seventhreeproblems, my dad thought I had a bad injector as well this just confirmed it for me. Gonna take it to a shop and get it looked at.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
There are many things that it could be, UVCH comes to mind. Even good injectors can be condemned by mechanics that do not know the 7.3 inside and out. Most 7.3's will show problems with two injectors on a contribution test even though they are fine, the cam sensor just makes them look bad on the test. None the less many mechanics will replace them on your dime. Fuel delivery is another often overlooked problem by mechanics who do not live and breathe the 7.3. Whatever you do take it to a mechanic that knows all about the 7.3, it is a very different animal than most diesel engines and a general diesel mechanic can end up wasting a lot of your cash and still not get it fixed. And not all Ford dealerships are equipped with a good 7.3 mechanic either.

Reactions: Soldier2035

·
Registered
628 Posts
What bigB said! Make sure your mechanic KNOWS the 7.3 and has a capable scantool! There are lots of sensors and wiring harnesses that can cause a whole host of issues that seem mechanical but arent! The more specific info you can provide here the better the advice you can get! Where are you located? Maybe someone can point t you in the right direction. Or if you are mechanically inclined we can walk you through most anything.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't matter if cold or hot it still does it unles od is turned off

·
Registered
628 Posts
Doesn't matter if cold or hot it still does it unles od is turned off
To me it sounds like your torque converter is locking and not releasing. Could be the torque lock selonoid but I'd think if it were that you'd be having problems in other gears as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok that's what I am thinking too

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uvch is new

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dad said he felt my truck miss the other day when he was riding around with me. That's why I'm sure it's one of my injectors. He knows someone around Princeton, KY that's good with the 7.3, works on his boss' trucks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update!!!! I put a fuel rail cross over kit FRx by Riffraff and it cured the problem must have been air in injectors

1 - 14 of 14 Posts