The Diesel Stop banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to entering stuff on this site, but have visited this site many times for great info. I have a 2001 F250 Super Duty 7.3 with 88,000 miles. Have never had any problems. Was pulling a boat over the weekend without any problems. Was putting the truck in 4wd to park the trailer. After the trailer was put away, I heard a soft high pitched noise that sounded like it was coming from the left side wheel well. (truck was in park just idling). Didnt think much of it until I went to drive the truck down the road. Heard an extremely loud high pitched whistle that seemed like it was going up and down like the turbo winding up and down. only lasted a few miles than went away at highway speed (was not towing at this time). Each time I would slow down to about below 35, I could hear this whistle sound almost like a card in the spokes of a bike. not too loud but definatly able to hear it. it would than go away at highway speed. drove about 3 hours to home on the interstate no problems. all gauges fine. boost guage reading normal, trans temp normal and EGT's normal. did not seem like I was loosing any power at all. Took it into the Ford Dealer, they say they can hear the soft whistle at idle, but not able to get it to reproduce the sound for them. It was doing it when I brought it into the dealer. Any suggestions?

· Registered
2,478 Posts
I would first check for an exhaust leak. You don't make any boost at idle, so I wouldn't suspect boost leak....still wouldn't hurt to check with a boost leak detector (fancy name huhh??). Then you could take the turbo intake hose off and see if you can wiggle the compressor wheel.

· Registered
2,478 Posts
Didn't think about that one Flywheel:thumbsup:
A little trick that I did not know...some people may already have known...is when you pull the tensioner pulley back, the is a clip underneath the assm. that you can flip back and it will hold the tension off the belt. Bearing dust is also another clue to a bearing going out. I was able to spin all the pulleys on mine and able to find out which one it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.